Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Whooping cough?

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM
  • 15 Replies

So, DS ha
s had some weird things going on today & yesterday evening.  DH thinks it might be whooping cough.  We are going to call the doctor in the morning to get it checked out, but does this sound like whooping cough to you?  There are 2 coughs - the first cough (about 5 seconds in) is not the cough i'm talking about - wait until about 20 seconds before the video is over.

He threw up 2 (?3) times while/right after coughing yesterday & today.  He coughs, seems fine for 10=20 minutes, coughs again.  This is a minor episode - he has had multiple 'whoop' sounding episodes throughout the day.  He had a minor cold about 2 weeks ago (which is a whooping cough symptom), and now has the cough, throwing up, the inhaling sound, and is more tired (like cranky, not sleeping any more though)

Oh, and we live in the bay area, California - where there is cases of whooping cough.

Hopefully the video works....

by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Possibly. Especially if it's going around and you & hubby didn't get get your booster vaccine. It's extremely contagious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Its possible but idk. When my bil had it he was falling on the floor spasing while coughing and it was never just one cough. It would go on for at least 5 minutes.
and he had his booster 2 months prior. He lived with us and hubby and I did not get it despite being way out of date on our shots.
the girl I watch had it. They gave her collodial silver and it went away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM
We both got vaccinated right before he was born & he has gotten the vaccine - hes 12 months. But I've read online that the vaccine doesn't really work very well.....

We go to a children's museum like once a week (where there have been TONS of kids on field trips) & other places like that often, so he may have been exposed (but who knows)

Quoting larissalarie:

Possibly. Especially if it's going around and you & hubby didn't get get your booster vaccine. It's extremely contagious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Hopefully he doesn't have it!

Quoting collinsmommy0:

We both got vaccinated right before he was born & he has gotten the vaccine - hes 12 months. But I've read online that the vaccine doesn't really work very well.....

We go to a children's museum like once a week (where there have been TONS of kids on field trips) & other places like that often, so he may have been exposed (but who knows)

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Doesn't sound like whooping cough to me. But I would get it checked out just to be sure.

mnmo3bb
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:11 AM
I have heard that too, when it goes around it affects the unvaxed as well as the vaxed. Also some are saying we dont build antibodies to indiviual illnesses before age one. I certainly hope that isnt true or it would be a whole year of wasted shots! The only reason i thought it made sense though was because i had chicken pox at 9 months and then again really bad at age six or seven ... so i didnt build immunity before age one...
our family doctor said he would treat whooping cough with high doses of vitamin c through iv... your son should be past the danger stage of not catching his breathe... breastfeeding should help as well.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on May. 21, 2012 at 2:13 AM
I'm not much help I'm mobile. Best to ask your childs pediatrician. My DD had a cough that sounded almost like the commercial so I took her in and told doctor and she gave DD the shot and she hasn't had that cough ever since.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DigiScrapperMom
by on May. 21, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I'm glad you're planning to call the dr.  I think it does sound like whooping cough.  I had it a few years ago.  I hope he feels better soon!

cabsmom10
by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:33 AM
I can't tell. Possibly. I would definitely call pedi to make sure. The cough then following the deep breath sounds like the commercial, but I think they go into coughing fits!! Could be bronchitis (spell)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:55 AM
I would guess not, he's eating right? My sick kids always cough the most while eating and at night. Eating and laying flat has had them in coughing fits both while sick this spring and last, neither was too bad and both cleared up on their own. I can't imagine for us it was WC both years (thought it may have been last year but then same thing again this year) but never went in to have it looked at as they were breathing okay, eating, drinking as usual, just had a nasty cough. Take him in if you are worried :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN