Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Strong urine smell...

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 5:27 AM
  • 6 Replies
Declan (almost 5 months) got changed early this morning because he smelled like pee. I figured he was soaked, but when I changed his diaper, it was almost dry. That concerns me because he woke up a lot to nurse. Now thinking about it, he reallu doesn't have really wet diapers. Hmmm should I be alarmed? I am slowly weaning him off formula and wondering if im not producing enough. His swallowing sounds great and doesn't pull off as much as he used to..

**I used to supplement with formula at work. He goes to the daycare that I teach at and he got formula every other feeding. I was too busy to go back there and feed him the on demand schedule he got at home and hate to pump. ANYWAY I talked to my boss and she now has me working back in the infant room with him so I can nurse :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cabsmom10
by on May. 21, 2012 at 5:30 AM
I occasionally still have to give him a bottle due to him refusing to nurse. But for the most part, he seems to be nursing well now...just worried about diaper count now:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 21, 2012 at 6:18 AM
Set out 5 diapers and see how many he goes through in 24hrs. 2oz is considered wet and more then that counts for two. Poop also counts as two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabsmom10
by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:28 AM
Too bad I wont be back to work with him today. I will have to talk to his caregivers. Stinks because today he will have to get a few formula bottles since I wont be back there as much. Im gonna tell them I need to nurse as much as possible today :( Him getting bottles throws all my hard work of weaning out the window. Grrr

Quoting melindabelcher:

Set out 5 diapers and see how many he goes through in 24hrs. 2oz is considered wet and more then that counts for two. Poop also counts as two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jocelynred
by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM

lucky you. i decided to leave my daycare job because when i came back from maternity leave they had switched me so that i would not be with my dd. also, my co-workers and the owner had a a very negative atitude about bf'ing. good luck. sometimes the strong unrine smell stays on the skin for a while. if you give him a bath and still notice a strong smell keep an eye on it.

cabsmom10
by on May. 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM
My work is okay with it as long as it doesn't effect my job. Which it has, unfortunately, but that is why they moved me to infant from for awhile :)

He has had plenty of wet diapers today, so not too worried anymore :)

Quoting jocelynred:

lucky you. i decided to leave my daycare job because when i came back from maternity leave they had switched me so that i would not be with my dd. also, my co-workers and the owner had a a very negative atitude about bf'ing. good luck. sometimes the strong unrine smell stays on the skin for a while. if you give him a bath and still notice a strong smell keep an eye on it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Put 2 oz of water in a diaper. That counts as wet.

Disposibles often don't even show/seem wet until about 4 oz of pee.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)