Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

i need some help

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM
  • 5 Replies
what does it mean if my baby has had diarrhea since he was born he is now a year and a half? he has an allergy to cows milk and hes been on soy. the only thing that changed since we switched to soy is that he stopped throwing up and he stopped having blood in his poop but its still diarrhea. i had for a long time questioned if i even knew if this was diarrhea or if it was just regular baby poop but today my sister watched him and commented that he might be getting sick because he has diarrhea. he gains weight great and is developing fine and has a lot of energy. the only thing is he is breastfed and he nurses all night long! it is super annoying and i dont get any sleep and if i take him off he cries until i put him back on. i wonder if the reason he nurses is because he might be having stomache aches and he is nursing for comfort. i have for a period of time taken away all grains/pasta/breads cause i thought it could be gluten related but nothing changed. i have no idea what it could be. the doctors are not concerned with it because he is gaining weight appropriately. has anyone else dealt with anything similar or know what it could be?I made a drs appointment but need to know what procedures to ask for or what to suggest it may be? I feel I have to do the research because the drs dont care. The diagnosis of milk intolerance was made by a dietician after seeing the doctors multiple times and them doing nothing. They told me they wont do any allergy testing till 2 years old.
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
angelbabies14
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Soy could be the issue. Soy and cow milk proteins are closely related in their make up and a lot of kids with one allergy have the other. My son has both. We use Coconut Milk products to replace all dairy.

angelbabies14
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM

You can do your own test by removing soy and replacing with another option like Rice Milk, Almond Milk, Hemp Milk, Oat Milk, Coconut Milk etc... Do it for a few weeks and see if it changes anything if no one is willing to test him. You do not need to have blood in the stools or throw up or get hives to have an allergy or an intolerance. Have you also considered putting your LO on digestive enzymes?  My son is 2.5 years old and has also had diarrhea since day one. He has many GI issues though beyond food allergies. He is also has Disaccharide Deficiency and doesn't process sugars at all. Are they willing to even do a stool sample?

becca1986
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Quoting angelbabies14:

Soy could be the issue. Soy and cow milk proteins are closely related in their make up and a lot of kids with one allergy have the other. My son has both. We use Coconut Milk products to replace all dairy.

the thing with soy is that he doesn't get it all the time. He might get one bottle once a week. Sometimes he has gone a month without it. I'm havin trouble figuring it out. I don't think it is related to something he eats because we change up our menu a lot and it is always diarrhea. Idk
angelbabies14
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM

He could have similar issues as my son then.  Some kind of deficiency?  My son also has Eosinophilic Disorders but I AM NOT SAYING YOUR SON HAS THAT. If his only symptom is diarrhea and NOTHING else, allergy testing my not be the right answer either. You may need a patch test that tests for delayed mediated responses. I would ask his Pedi to order a stool sample first. It can't hurt. Its not allergy testing, just seeing what's in it and what's not. Do you have him on a probiotic at all?  Does he drink any juice? Or eat excessive fruits?  If he happens to be lactose intolerant (or deficient in lactase) then breastfeeding may be causing it BUT.... I'm not saying to give up breastfeeding either. I continued to breastfeed my son even though he does not make lactase to break down lactose in my breast milk, I just put him on a digestive enzyme.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM
If he is still mostly nreastfed, then his poops will be mostly liquid.
DS has had 1 'solid' poop so far, he's 12.5 months old. My friends 2 year old has a 'breastmilk poop' about 1/2 the time now & he only nurses a few times a day.

I would cut out all soy to see of it helps, though - soy is like milk, the proteins can stay in your system for a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)