Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

You would think I'd never done this before.

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is seven months old and has been eating solids for a few weeks. My attempt at making his food failed; he hated everything. It's common knowledge that I can't cook. I guess that includes baby food as well. lol I bought some Earth's Best last week, and he freaking LOVES it!

He only gets baby food when he's at the sitter's during the day. At home, he just nurses.

My question is this: How MUCH baby food can he eat when he's away from me? I've asked SuperBeth (the sitter) to give him 2 oz a day. But she said he screams and cries and acts like an ass (lol) when she stops feeding him. He's such a pig.

It's okay for him to eat the whole jar in one day, yes? What is TOO much?

Such a pig. lol

by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mama02040608
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM
If that's a main proportion of his food while away from you and you solely nurse him when together, I say let him have at it! As long as she's not shoveling the whole jar into him disregarding his cues, that is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I don't know the right or wrong answer to this because I believe each baby is different and as long as it's not effecting your breastfeeding relationship I PERSONALLY feel its fine. My son is/was a pig too. He didn't start solids until between 9 and 10 months though because of food allergies. He was eating SOOO much and it never effected how much he nursed.  I would make sure they are high quality foods though. Good healthy fats etc..

LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM

The only time she disregards his cues is when he slams his hands down and howls for more, and she denies him simply because there's nothing left.

lol

Quoting mama02040608:

If that's a main proportion of his food while away from you and you solely nurse him when together, I say let him have at it! As long as she's not shoveling the whole jar into him disregarding his cues, that is.

LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I keep trying to get him to eat avocado, but he hates it. lol He'll play in it; loves to do that. But refuses to eat it. *sigh*

He's a fan of carrots, and sweet potatoes and green beans so far. All of which I made FRESH for that little bugger, and he turned his nose up at it. Food making FAIL. lol

Quoting angelbabies14:

I don't know the right or wrong answer to this because I believe each baby is different and as long as it's not effecting your breastfeeding relationship I PERSONALLY feel its fine. My son is/was a pig too. He didn't start solids until between 9 and 10 months though because of food allergies. He was eating SOOO much and it never effected how much he nursed.  I would make sure they are high quality foods though. Good healthy fats etc..

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I have always given DD as much as she wanted, she still eats massive amounts to this day and is still tiny.  By the time she was on solids though (8ish months), she was on donor milk by bottle with nursing whenever she wanted, so I know she was getting at least 24 oz of BM a day.  At grandma's she'd eat up to 12 oz of baby food in one sitting and still freak out if you stopped feeding her, she'd have a 4 oz bottle before too.  It never made her sick or stopped her from nursing/taking a bottle, so I just let her eat as much as she wanted.  At 17 months, she is finally slowing down, but eats constantly instead of several large meals. 

angelbabies14
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM

By the time my son was a year he was eating a POUND of food, literally a pound. My SO and I would sit there with our mouths hanging open in disbelief. We were also shocked because he has so many GI issues and allergies that he was able to eat all of that. He still til this day, at 2.5, will out eat anyone at the table. He's small too. Always on the low end of the scale and was once Dx with FTT. He loves to eat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN