Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Drying up?

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you FEEL when you are drying up? Like how do you actually know? (I'm sorry if that sounds dumb)

My DD is 9 months old and weighs 5 oz less than she did at her 6 month well check. She's very active, hitting milestones and eats like a bottomless pit (which I thought was typical of MOST babies).

I breastfeed on demand, which for the last two months or so has been about every 3 hours and twice through the night. In between nursing, she eats table foods as we do baby led weaning. She eats and likes everything and I swear can out eat my 5 year old. The table foods have not taken away her want/need to nurse. She appears satisfied while nursing and I can easily hand express some milk even after she finishes. She is wetting/dirtying 6-8 cloth diapers in a 24 hour period.

We were at the ped today and they said we'll have to discuss and explore what's going on, as she may have a problem absorbing food. However, I am wondering if I'm the problem. If maybe I'm drying up and she's not getting enough from me. I know in most cases, women don't dry up but I am 4 months pregnant and hear it's quite common to dry up in this situation. 

If I'm the problem, I want to do my best to rectify it WITHOUT resorting to formula. But I don't FEEL like I'm drying up and I don't want to bring that up and have the dr. jump on the bandwagon that it's all me and formula will fix everything.

So how do I know? Or what can I do?

by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM
When you say active what do you mean? If she is crawling that could explain some loss.

I'm guessing the only real way to know would be to stop solids and if she is not making diapers then you have an issue. Its not uncommon for gain to slow/pause closer to 12 months or active babies to lose weight.

Keep doing what your doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gavin423
by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

When you say active what do you mean? If she is crawling that could explain some loss.

I'm guessing the only real way to know would be to stop solids and if she is not making diapers then you have an issue. Its not uncommon for gain to slow/pause closer to 12 months or active babies to lose weight.

Keep doing what your doing.

Yes, she is crawling and standing and cruising. I asked if that could account for it. She said it would if she just wasn't gaining but she is losing.

louzannalady
by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM

DS was ten months when I became pregnant. So, I completely understand where you are coming from. He did stall on his weight gain and lost a little. He was walking at seven months, running at nine and climbing at eleven. I learned to nurse before I offered solids. I increased my water and caloric intake- (feeding three now, not just two!). I munch on several small meals and snacks a day. DS made it to 13.5 months, but stopped because he did not like the change in my milk from the pregnancy. But, I wanted to go a year and we made that goal. : ) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

gavin423
by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Quoting louzannalady:

DS was ten months when I became pregnant. So, I completely understand where you are coming from. He did stall on his weight gain and lost a little. He was walking at seven months, running at nine and climbing at eleven. I learned to nurse before I offered solids. I increased my water and caloric intake- (feeding three now, not just two!). I munch on several small meals and snacks a day. DS made it to 13.5 months, but stopped because he did not like the change in my milk from the pregnancy. But, I wanted to go a year and we made that goal. : ) 

Did your pedi take issue with your DS losing weight? How was it handled, if you don't mind me asking? I mean, she is small but she has always been on the smaller side. She doesn't act malnourished - she is alert, active, happy and appears healthy.  

louzannalady
by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

He was always spot on 50 percentile. At around ten months, he went to the 25th percentile. They were slightly concerned, but not a huge deal. They know I am overprotective and that I care for him a great deal and that I read like crazy- so they were not too concerned. They gave me literature on good fatty foods (bananas, avocados, oil olive) that I can give him to help beef him up. I came here to this group freaked out and they gave me great advice on how to beef him up (nurse before eating solids...). DS was the same. Not malnourished. Just thinning out at doing great- ahead in his milestones. I brought him back in... I think two weeks. And he had put on a couple ounces and nothing has been said since. He now, just trends towards the 25th percentile for his weight and is around 50 percentile for height, now. 

Quoting gavin423:

Quoting louzannalady:

Did your pedi take issue with your DS losing weight? How was it handled, if you don't mind me asking? I mean, she is small but she has always been on the smaller side. She doesn't act malnourished - she is alert, active, happy and appears healthy.  

gavin423
by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Oh see she was always around 20th percentile but she has fallen off the chart now. I am nursing like crazy and she will not take well to losing solids - she will sit and scream if we eat and she can't. Would that be helpful, you think, to really push those good fatty foods?

Quoting louzannalady:

He was always spot on 50 percentile. At around ten months, he went to the 25th percentile. They were slightly concerned, but not a huge deal. They know I am overprotective and that I care for him a great deal and that I read like crazy- so they were not too concerned. They gave me literature on good fatty foods (bananas, avocados, oil olive) that I can give him to help beef him up. I came here to this group freaked out and they gave me great advice on how to beef him up (nurse before eating solids...). DS was the same. Not malnourished. Just thinning out at doing great- ahead in his milestones. I brought him back in... I think two weeks. And he had put on a couple ounces and nothing has been said since. He now, just trends towards the 25th percentile for his weight and is around 50 percentile for height, now. 

Quoting gavin423:

Quoting louzannalady:

FLmommy0204
by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

My pedi said it's not uncommon for babies to lose weight once they start crawling because they are active and becuase they get distracted and don't eat as much as they might otherwise. 

louzannalady
by on May. 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Personally, I would try upping my water intake (drink at least a full glass everytime you sit down to nurse) and up my caloric intake. I would try nursing just as frequently as she will let you. The more you nurse- the more you will make. Also, breast milk has more calories than pretty much any solids you are going to feed her. When you do feed her solids after nursing, make sure it is those nice healthy fatty foods. *hug* I know, you will do great. Also, I would ask which chart they are using- the older one from the CDC (based on formula fed white babies) or the WHO (based on EBF babies of various races). The AAP even recommends using the WHO chart. : ) You will find mention of it in the first paragraph of the first link. Here are the WHO growth charts that your office should be using. It makes a vast difference compared to the old CDC charts. 

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/3/e827.full?sid=45299156-71bc-46f3-abfe-e0393fcec3d8#T2

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

Quoting gavin423:

Oh see she was always around 20th percentile but she has fallen off the chart now. I am nursing like crazy and she will not take well to losing solids - she will sit and scream if we eat and she can't. Would that be helpful, you think, to really push those good fatty foods?

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting gavin423:

Quoting louzannalady:

gavin423
by on May. 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I'll do that - and grabbing a water every time I nurse is a good idea too. WIth the charts, I'm not sure which my office uses. If I did it correctly, she still falls well below the 3rd percentile line. She's 13 lbs 4 oz at 9 months, 1 week.

Quoting louzannalady:

Personally, I would try upping my water intake (drink at least a full glass everytime you sit down to nurse) and up my caloric intake. I would try nursing just as frequently as she will let you. The more you nurse- the more you will make. Also, breast milk has more calories than pretty much any solids you are going to feed her. When you do feed her solids after nursing, make sure it is those nice healthy fatty foods. *hug* I know, you will do great. Also, I would ask which chart they are using- the older one from the CDC (based on formula fed white babies) or the WHO (based on EBF babies of various races). The AAP even recommends using the WHO chart. : ) You will find mention of it in the first paragraph of the first link. Here are the WHO growth charts that your office should be using. It makes a vast difference compared to the old CDC charts. 

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/3/e827.full?sid=45299156-71bc-46f3-abfe-e0393fcec3d8#T2

Quoting gavin423:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting gavin423:

Quoting louzannalady:

louzannalady
by on May. 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Gotcha. *hug* I know, you will do wonderful! Just talk with the doctor about it and just nurse, nurse, nurse! : )

Quoting gavin423:

I'll do that - and grabbing a water every time I nurse is a good idea too. WIth the charts, I'm not sure which my office uses. If I did it correctly, she still falls well below the 3rd percentile line. She's 13 lbs 4 oz at 9 months, 1 week.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting gavin423:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting gavin423:

Quoting louzannalady:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN