Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

He eats & eats & then spits up :(

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM
  • 11 Replies

So the other day I posted about DS (2w old) is wanting to non-stop nurse... Well today he has already spit up twice :(.. And in the past few days he spits up a bit & occasionally I  find that he has milk sitting in his mouth (he will nurse, nod off & ill move him to burp him & milk will just flow from his mouth- dont waiste it kid! LOL)..

My DD never spit up.. So I dont know whats OK & what is not... Can it be a sign of something else? Anything I can do to help him not spit up so much. That stuff smells horrible!

by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Do you have overactive supply? You could block feed & that would cut down on him getting more than he wants util things even out. Also he could be reating to something in your diet....some babies just spit up though for no reason.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Normal usually unless accompanied by obvious discomfort.

You can try NOT sitting baby up to burp for 5 minutes. Worked (for the most part) with my son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

my frist was a spitter upper.  Several reasons it could be. One, over active letdown, which is the most common. Two, alignment is off. three, an air bubble is stuck. Four, food sensitivity. Five, baby's tummy is still not mature, and some just spit up more than other. Six, too much food for a tiny littl tummy (doesn't usually happen inless bottlefed). Or Seven, acid reflux

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Krysta622
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

If it doesn't seem to bother him, it's a laundry problem, not a medical problem.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM

This is what I was going to say. As long as he doesn't seem to be in pain, it's not an issue. Some babies spit up and some don't. My 4 month old spits up. None of the rest of my babies ever did but he does. I had OAL when he was younger but that seems to have improved but he still spits up. But he is very happy and doesn't seem to be in pain. So I know it's just the way he is.

Quoting Krysta622:

If it doesn't seem to bother him, it's a laundry problem, not a medical problem.

JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM
My dd spit up a lot compared to my ds. Both ebf. I personally haven't met a baby that doesn't spit up now and then. Every baby is different =)

That said, if you're having overactive letdown, you can lean back when feeding to reduce the flow. I noticed with ds (also 2 weeks) that if I lean back when I am engorged he doesn't explode on me. The only times he really spits up are when my milk shoots right down his throat and he overfills his little tummy. Then I have to wash my clothes and his clothes and everything around us lol
MommaTasha1003
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

lol.. thats a good way to put it..

Quoting Krysta622:

Chelsea_rh
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM
My dd is almost 5 months. When she was smaller it seemed like she was spitting up non stop. The pedi assured me that as long as she didn't act like it was bothering her that she was okay. Since then she has stopped spitting up as much. I believe she is a happy spitter! I woot be too concerned unless your child seems uncomfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Sometimes mid-nursing he unlatches & gets mad, so i may have an overactive let down..

Spitting up there is no discomfort.. But it scares me because sometimes he spits up in his swing, so im worried what if he spits up in his swing & chokes while i run to restroom or something :(..

I thought this being my 2nd it would all be easier! Boy i was wrong, with dd i just dealt with latching problems/pain the first month or so.. No wonder 1st time moms that run across these problems quit, they are lost & overwhelmed (usually with no support, or horrid advice)  with everything else mommyhood brings!

MommaTasha1003
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM
and now it seems like he has thrown up 2x today :( ugh! stressed!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN