Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No solids for a year -- proof?

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM
  • 98 Replies
2 moms liked this
I see on this group a lot that babies don't need solids at all in the first year. Absent any special circumstances/delays/intolerances, I've never seen any credible science to back this up. AAP, UNICEF, and WHO state pretty clearly that breastfed babies should start iron rich complimentary foods at 6 months.

http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/complementary_feeding/en/index.html

So, where is this coming from? This is a great group but I sometimes see statements bandied about that are unsubstantiated by evidence. In some cases it almost seems a little crunchier than thou to see how late you can start solids or how fully baby led weaning you can be. There is nothing wrong with purées IMO either.

(Please note I am NOT arguing for solids before about 6 months, or processed infant cereals or overfeeding of solids, or forcing solids on a baby who refuses them.)

ETA: I also keep seeing this babies can't digest grains thing, but find that to also be unsubstantiated when we're talking about babies 6 months or older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randomtrixie
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Also LLL says about 6 months. http://www.llli.org/faq/solids.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm "bumping" this to find it easily later on because I want to do some research of my own and come back.  :-)  I keep hearing the no solids for a year thing, also, but when researchers have looked at food ways in "primitive" cultures, they find that babies, regardless of continent and local food habits, start getting iron rich foods right around six months or so.  Facinating that in many of these cultures, baby's first food is liver. . . . . 

Anyway, I'm going to see what I can find by way of sources and studies.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM
4 moms liked this

I disagree that children must need fortified iron rich foods by 6 months of age, I find that giving something that is not w whole food as not good for us, and our personal diet at home is not like that.  I also do not follow the food pyramid either.  We do baby led solids. My first was choking on solids until he was like 11 months old.  My second didn't get any solids until he was  11 months old or so as well, because with him I decided to not force solids. My third child wanted solids at 9 or 10 months old. I don't think there needs to be a rule "start solids at this age". Every child is different, and although in general all have basic needs, they all develope at different rates as well.

Also, you have to be careful with scientific research. Sometimes it can be unbiased, but many times its because someone is trying to proove their point of view and may not submit data that does not fit that view point. So, for us we will continue baby led solids.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Randomtrixie
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Nowhere did I say "fortified." I'm talking about iron rich whole foods.

I'm also not arguing against BLW if you want to do it. I'm just saying purées are okay, if you feed them properly, not cramming them down the baby's throat, but following their cues.

All I'm saying is I keep seeing statements about babies not needing solids before a year, and I have yet to see a credible major health organization make anything close to this statement.

We cite the WHO recommendation to BF for 2 years all the time, so why are we so quick to dismiss an equally clearly worded recommendation to start solids at about 6 months?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM
6 moms liked this

First off all I've never seen anybody on this board say you shouldn't give your baby solids at all until a year. I think when they say for the first year breastmilk is all baby needs the point they are making is breastmilk needs to be the number 1 source of nutrition and calories until a year and that if baby won't take a solids you shouldn't force them. After 6 months solids are fine to be given but it's not a huge deal if baby doesn't want them. Even in the article it is said they are COMPLIMENTARY, which to me says they aren't a main source of nutrition.  I don't start solids until 8 or 9 months on the advice of my kids pediatrician because we have long history of food allergies. We know they are most likely going to have allergies but if they have an allergic reaction at 8 or 9 months they are going to be better able to handle that than at 6 months old. I think it's said alot because people freak out if their babies don't eat solids. But again I've never seen anyone say you shouldn't start solids until a year, I've seen them say 6 months and then follow babies cues and it's not a big deal if they don't take them but never no solids until a year.

As far as grains and cereal the AAP recently came out and said that they no longer feel cereal is a good first food.

elisybeth
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree all babies are different but I do also agree that it seems like a contest sometimes as to who can wait the longest to start solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM

So far, OP, I'm finding a ton of intriguing studies I cannot read (about amylase production) because they are all out of clinical journals.  But the abstracts read in facinating fashion.

As far as when to start solids, well, that's a lot harder to ferret out.  Lots and lots of opinion, very little substaniated fact.  But I am trying.  :-)

MonicaV1982
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM
research says allergies are no less likely to happen and actually less likely if you introduce foods after 6 months. Waiting is not related to better outcomes. I'm monile, but I'll post my sources later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I was told this by my IBCLC and my pediatrician..though she LIKES to see babies eatting solids between4-6 months (yeah yeah I know) she says breastmilk is perfect for a whole year atleast.  She has a patient with severe allergies very very severe and mom just finished a full 12 months of EBFing and now they are trying solids here and there..course shes had to be hospitalized twice from trying new solids and having a reaction.

qtnik
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Like everything, we need to use our own judgement. My dd wasn't gaining weight. At first I fought solids and tried to up my supply. Then at 6 months I gave in. She's gaining like a champ!! For us, that's what worked. I make the solids count. All homemade, all organic, all healthy and calorie rich. Maybe that's not best for other moms and other babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN