Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like an awful mom

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

I posted before that if my nipple didn't heal, I'd have to wean my son. No doc is making me do this but I feel like its the best choice at this point. I have an abcess that's infected. I've been on antibiotics for 10 days and its still pussy and open.

I'm sure nursing Ri doesn't help matters at all. I just hate refusing something he loves so much. This morning he got a sippy and was at daycare so no issues until 5pm. He got mad I didn't nurse him then but once he ate dinner, Ri forgot. Tonight is the issue. I brought him to bed and he just cried and cried on me. I wanted to cry with him. Ri finally gave in and took his sippy. Now he's asleep but I have a feeling this is going to be a long night.

I wish this could be easier. I'd love to slowely wean but I am going to end up with bigger problems if my wound doesn't heal soon. I just hope my baby will forgive me and isn't traumatized. :'(

by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Can't you nurse on the other side?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mitty18
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Why not nurse on the other side?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheergurl84
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM
He won't nurse on that side. If he does its for 2 minutes maybe. He's 15 months old so pretty set in his ways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindseyLou531
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Are you wearing a shell between nursings?  That's THE ONLY thing I have been able to wear to fix any nipple damage that I have had from our latching issues.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Two minutes is fine, you know. Heck, mine was doing that on either side by that age! 

Seek out Daynaof3... she had a HORRIFIC abcess problem.

"Awe" full... you are indeed... as in I'm full of AWE for you! The only "awful" mom is the one who beats her baby.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Aww, sorry! You'll get past it :-) Have you tried using a nipple shield?
Also now when presented with going without nursing or using the other side, he might change his mind!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheergurl84
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM

He won't use a nipple shield.  He wants the real thing.  I'm not looking for ways to continue nursing.  I'm huge into extended breast feeding.  I admit I would have been happy if he self weaned by this poing though.  So please, no need to tell me all my options because I do know what they are.  It's no easier on him trying to get him to just nurse on the other side.  We've been trying that.  It's just not happening for him. 

We made it through the night.  He woke up once and cried for a little bit and then slept until 6am.  He's at daycare now so we will see what tonight brings. 

Now if this heals up and he decides to go back to the breast... that I have no problem with.  But for now, even though this is really hard on both of us, it is the right choice for me.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Cheergurl, I refuse to throw you a pity party. You did great and have NOTHING to feel badly about. Zip zilch nada.

Baby got ONE DROP. That made you a success even if a second drop was never received and you chopped off your breasts. 

One day at a time. OK?

I suggested Dayna only because she has such extensive personal experience with abcesses and might have some suggestions that could be helpful in getting through it.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM

HUGS momma I hope everything works out for you

cheergurl84
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I don't want a pity party. Just some support that he will be okay through this. I love this group and thank you for all your help and advice, g. Sometimes it just comes off like bfing is the only way. I know sometimes I do it too and now realize I have to watch that.

What you just said helps a lot. Just to know I'm not causing him harm and did good as long as he nursed.

I have nursed through latch issues, his hospitalization, my surgery, and working almost full time. In all that, I never resorted to formula. Heck I never even planned to breastfeed so this feeling is foreign to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN