Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

sugar on a bottle...

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM
  • 14 Replies
So my ex is always harassing me to get my dd(ebf for 4months now) on formula or to take a bottle. He only sees her once a week for an hr so im not going to get her to take a bottle for that. I always just tell him she wnt take it all she does is scream. So his mom told me oh just put some sugar on the bottle and she'll take it. And i was just humoring her by saying ok. So the other day he asks if iv tried that i say no thats stupid your moms an idiot(she is, she told me smoking is ok while you're pregnant. I dnt smoke she was justifying smoking with me in the car while i was pregnant) but i was just wondering why sugar on a bottle is bad like specific things i can tell him. I plan to ask my pedi next time i take her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I don't think it's terrible, I would not personally do it though. I know they put sugar water on paci's for babies in pain in the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesister2
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Really? I just assume everything she suggests is horrible because of the smoking comment she made while i was pregnant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amber5151
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM
My common sense tells me sugar for Babies is a terrible idea. Would that tiny amount of sugar effect a virgin gut? I have no idea. Personally I would just stick to your guns and say no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Not that she had to take a bottle but you could put breastmilk on the nipple, its naturally sweet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rokai
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I don't honestly know, but putting processed unnatural sugar on a bottle seems like a terrible idea, so I wouldn't do it.

MissSarah04
by Sarah on May. 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM
If it were life and death. Like baby is starving and has no other way to eat, I'd say do it. But even then there are other ways ringer a baby to eat. I'd just say no and wouldn't bother justifying it with a reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avmommy19
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Ya I would stand ur ground but when I had my son he wouldn't latch right and they put sugar water on my boob to get him to latch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Babies do not NEED sugar and sugar feds yeast so it could cause thrush

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM

And sugar on the bottle does not necessarily get them to take it anyway. 

Here's the deal... YOU cannot be involved with Operation Bottle. Hand baby to caregiver, LEAVE. Baby will take a bottle when truly hungry. Or leave a sippy cup, spill proof valve removed. NEWBORNS can be fed this way... caregiver tips, baby sips. Done.

When Mom gives the bottle, baby thinks mom has gone nuts. **smile**

Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM
I agree. Two things - one - your the mom and you need to put your foot down. It will only get worse as she grows up. Two- virgin gut! Do not give her sugar - it causes that "sweet tooth". If babies wrre supposed to have sugar we would make cane sugar from our bodies.

Quoting sophiesister2:

Really? I just assume everything she suggests is horrible because of the smoking comment she made while i was pregnant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN