Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

First time mom to a week old.. NEED HELP/ ADVICE! ):

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

I am a first time mommy and my son is a week old today. 

Right when he came out he breast fed amazingly, I never hurt when he latched on he would get full and I would leak and breast feeding was great..

I had to have a c-section and one night I was heavily medicated.. fell asleep and when they tried to wake me up to breast feed, no one could wake me up.. I guess.. and after that.. He won't latch on and I didn't have a pump when I was in the hospital and now my flow is starting to get less and less..

He still won't latch, he cries when I try and get him too and when I pump it's enough for maybe one feeding if that and that's usually on my first pump of the day..

so what can I do to help him latch on and what can I eat or do to keep my milk here or maybe get more of it.. I have cried several times over having to give him formula and can't forgive myself for not being able to wake up.. (when I know it's not really my fault but I still can't help but blame myself.)

Any advice would be great! Sorry, I rambled and made this long.

by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM
How much are you giving him at each feeding?
it sounds like he has a flow preference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife-4-life
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Maybe you should see a breastfeeding consultant. I know WIC offices have them as well as the hospitals. When my supply got low I tried Organic Mother's Milk tea. It helped for a little bit. I ended up losing my milk at around 6/7 months for both my girls, no matter how hard I tried to increase it.

Does he take from the bottle with out a problem?

wife-4-life
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Also, I had a friend who swore by this.... i never did it for certain reasons, but drink one beer (not wine or liquor). It increased her flow so much she said it was like her milk had just come in after giving birth. After discarding the first pumped batch (because of the beer) she had plenty for babies and some leftover to store & freeze. But like I said I never tried it. Don't drink beer.

Mom_to_Skyler
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Find an IBCLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant) or get in touch with your local LLL.  It sounds like you need some hands-on help.

LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It may sound scary, but try and stop giving him formula or pumped milk. He may cry, but he will learn to latch on. Even if he only gets one oz per feeding, its ok. He doesn't need too much right now and with time he will stop crying.

For the low supply, the more you nurse him the more milk you'll make, pump after feedings, even if you don't get anything, drink lots and lots of water. Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

you need to see a certifiied lactation consultant, stat.  At one week old there should be a way to re-teach your son to nurse.  My preemie didn't WANT to nurse for feeding, just randomly for fun. One night I refused to feed him and after fussing for about 40 minutes he latched on and nursed (while sniffing at me and giving me the sad eyes lol)  After that he nursed like a champ.  Don't give up, get help in real life.

LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM

This too...

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

Find an IBCLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant) or get in touch with your local LLL.  It sounds like you need some hands-on help.

Chelsiekayy04
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

He'll usually have 2-3 ounces at each feeding.

Quoting melindabelcher:

How much are you giving him at each feeding?
it sounds like he has a flow preference.

Chelsiekayy04
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

He will drink my breast milk out of the bottle no problem.. and I bought the bottles that are called breast flow and it makes him work harder for the milk just as if he was drinking from me, but he won't latch. /:

& I'm not a huge beer drinker.. but I am willing to try anything! I am beyond desperate!

Thanks so much! (:

Quoting wife-4-life:

Maybe you should see a breastfeeding consultant. I know WIC offices have them as well as the hospitals. When my supply got low I tried Organic Mother's Milk tea. It helped for a little bit. I ended up losing my milk at around 6/7 months for both my girls, no matter how hard I tried to increase it.

wife-4-life
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Your welcome. Hope it gets better. I hated that I couldn't nurse longer than 6/7 months. And for awhile dd2 had trouble latching but it turned out to be more of a reflux issue, she didnt want to eat much. GOOD LUCK!

Quoting Chelsiekayy04:

He will drink my breast milk out of the bottle no problem.. and I bought the bottles that are called breast flow and it makes him work harder for the milk just as if he was drinking from me, but he won't latch. /:

& I'm not a huge beer drinker.. but I am willing to try anything! I am beyond desperate!

Thanks so much! (:

Quoting wife-4-life:

»-(¯`v´¯) wife-4-life «-(¯`v´¯)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN