Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

advice please

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM
  • 8 Replies
Hi guys I'm feeling really down today i feel like the baby isn't getting enough milk so a nurse told me its ok to suppliment so I did I feel like my milk is leaving what can I do I felt so bad when I gave her a bottle of formula I really don't want to do it again how can I increase my flow :(:(:(
by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Why do you think baby isn't getting enough milk? Diapers are the only way to know (at least 6 a day). How baby acts, what you pump, etc mean absolutely nothing.
Supplementing with formula is almost always unnecessary and frequently creates problems where none currently exist.
Not to bash your nurse, but doctors & nurses don't receive training in breastfeeding (or really nutrition in general). Their source of information about infant feeding is mainly formula companies :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gailll
by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Breastfeed more often is the short answer. If you give bottles of formula your baby will nurse less well and less often. It can be the beginning of the end of breastfeeding. You can find lots of breastfeeding info at http://www.kellymom.com/

JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM
My advice is to drink lots of water and just nurse, nurse, nurse! Ur supply will catch up, but not if u keep supplementing
GoodyBrook
by on May. 25, 2012 at 2:26 AM
If baby is frantic at your breast, it might just be a growth spurt. Or gas. :) Just keep nursing. (By offering formula instead of your breast, you're telling your body that it doesn't need to produce as much milk as you have been. Giving formula is counter-productive if you're trying to increase your supply).
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2012 at 2:32 AM
This

Quoting larissalarie:

Why do you think baby isn't getting enough milk? Diapers are the only way to know (at least 6 a day). How baby acts, what you pump, etc mean absolutely nothing.

Supplementing with formula is almost always unnecessary and frequently creates problems where none currently exist.

Not to bash your nurse, but doctors & nurses don't receive training in breastfeeding (or really nutrition in general). Their source of information about infant feeding is mainly formula companies :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hennasmith
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:59 AM

How old is your baby? There's a few times where babies go through growth spurts that make it seem like they're starving to death, but really they just nurse nonstop for a week or so and then go back to normal. Plus, breasts tend to be very swollen for the first month or two, but gradually "deflate" (for lack of a better term, sorry) after that. So you may tough your breasts and they not feel very full, but they usually will still be producing more than adequately for your baby. Also, after about 6 months (though that is different for different women) alot of women don't feel let-down as much. Let-down still occurs, it's just not as noticeable.

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM
This! :)
How old is baby?

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Mimi, you've given us nothing to go on. We can't give advice without info.

HOWEVER... "getting enough' is ONLY measured by dipes and NOTHING else. 6 changes per day in the firs two months means baby is getting enough.

If baby acts miserable... she's getting enough! A starving child doesn't have the energy to act miserable; they just get real quiet. We like babies that are utter pains in the butt. **smile**

No formula. You don't need it unless you're not changing enough dipes. Put baby to breast. LEAVE baby there.

Gain will be 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weight... baby should have dropped some weight in week one.

And no, she won't be sleeping much or acting like that mythical Gerber baby. **smile**

KNowing all that, give us the accurate picture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN