Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need unbiased advice: exclusively pump or persevere?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm losing hope about getting back on track with BF.  We're at 2 weeks and 3 days, and we're still having the same issues.  The baby will not stay awake to BF.  I'm lucky to get her on for 5-10 minutes on one breast - if at all.  I've tried all the tricks: taking her clothes off, skin-to-skin, wet wipe around the face, tickling, talking, moving her limbs...  This kid just wants to sleep!  I should note that she isn't as difficult to keep awake when taking a bottle.  Of course!  It doesn't take as much effort!   I tried not giving a bottle for a couple of days, but I ultimately caved.  I can't let her go for too long without eating.  We live in AZ, and dehydration is a serious possibility.  I've thought about just giving up and pumping exclusively, but I worry that my milk supply won't hold out - or other problems arising in the future.  This is really depressing me.  I feel like it's putting a black cloud over my new baby experience.  I'm sure sleep deprivation and hormones aren't helping.  I guess I just want (hope) to hear that this will pass.  I read that after two weeks, babies aren't as likely to sleep through feedings, but she is 2 1/2 weeks now.  Someone please tell me things will get better...

*For anyone who didn't read my previous posts, she was being supplemented with a bottle after having jaundice and being underweight.  She was also a bit premature.

by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Replies (31-34):
ExquisiteMomof2
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM
I say perservere!

I'm in the same boat as you. I also live in AZ and my youngest is 3 weeks old. He is the same way. He sleeps through feedings. He doesn't cry when hungry really, he just starts rooting. He will only cry if it takes me too long and even then its more like a squek.

I pump a lot more often than I had to with my oldest. But I am also returning to work and want a large stockpile just in case of growth spurts and what not.

What works for me is changing his diaper. Much like his older brother he HATES diaper changes. That wakes him enough to nurse each breast for about 20 mins each. Sometimes longer.

He is going through a growth spurt now. So he's eating much more on his own. The first 2 weeks I set an alarm and had to wake him every 2 hours to eat. I also turn my flashlight on my phone and make it bright during night feedings and that wakes him a little more as well.

Just keep on going. She will hit a growth spurt and eat like crazy.

Oh I forgot nurse after she poops. My son seems most hungry after he poops. Just food for thought. =)

Good luck and keep us updated! PM me if you'd like to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gingerella
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Maybe she's full after 5-10 mins. How do you know she's not? Diaper count is how you know. My LC said this woman came to her freaking out and thinking all sorts of bad things because her baby fed in 5 mins. Come to find out that's all he needed. I wish I had a 5-10 minute nurser. We still nurse for 30-45 mins sometimes and he's 8 weeks Tuesday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Stop stop all bottles. Just nurse and watch diapers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I personally think you're freaking out over nothing. I would stop all supplements & jsut nurse. Count diapers, if you change 6-8 in 24 hrs(regardless of content, super wet counts as 2 as does poopy) then you're fine. The more you supplement the more you risk damaging your supply.  IF you choose to exclusively pump , it CAN be done but it's not easy. You have to pump every 2 hrs round the clock, baby sleeps in you do not because you have to pump. All of that in addition to taking care of a new baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN