Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

i'm wondering if it is ok to tan while i'm bf?if not,why not?thanx.

by on May. 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Replies (31-37):
Randomtrixie
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Quoting Hottubgodess:

Conveniently, Joe Mercola has his own line of tanning beds he'd love to sell you. The man is a hack, he has no scientific credibility, and you can't trust anything he says. Sunscreens are not harmful to people.

Mom to a 3.5 year old DS, 42", 36 lbs, FN85's.

DD, VBAC October '11, future ERFer!

Radian Superlatch Problems?

I believe in science!  That's why I vaccinate, EBF, and ERF!

Mommyto2boys178
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Before you believe anything anyone else says. Do some research for YOUR SELF. I use to be a huge skeptic but then I started working at a tanning salon and started to educate my self alllllll about tanning the process the good the bad and the ugly. Pharmaceutical companies pay doctors and companies big bucks to say SPF is good for you slather it on and put it on every hour and never go out side for a minute without it. blah blah blah. The SPF keeps doctors in business so why wouldn't they promote it!?

Quoting Randomtrixie:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Conveniently, Joe Mercola has his own line of tanning beds he'd love to sell you. The man is a hack, he has no scientific credibility, and you can't trust anything he says. Sunscreens are not harmful to people.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Perhaps you can answer the question I asked previously in the thread, then? If someone has had severe sunburns in their past, should tanning beds be avoided? 

I have to get checked every year and had to have one mole removed last year. It wasn't pleasant and since the mole was on my arm, not pretty. I am watching a couple of suspicious spots right now. If I can spare ONE PERSON going through this or through worse it's worth it to me.

Quoting Mommyto2boys178:

Before you believe anything anyone else says. Do some research for YOUR SELF. I use to be a huge skeptic but then I started working at a tanning salon and started to educate my self alllllll about tanning the process the good the bad and the ugly. 
Mommyto2boys178
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Sorry Iust have missed you question from before...

No avoiding now will make no difference. The burning and over exposure is what causes the problems. If your fair skinned or have been over exposed in the past my suggestion would be to be extra precautions of you skin and know your limit and get out before that. I am very fair skinned and I can only be out a max of an hour in the direct sunlight before I get problems. Getting a slight tan or color to your skin (not spray tans, actual tan) will help with protecting your skin as well. My boys are 2 and 9 months and have never been burnt and have never had sunscreen on them. We playing side all the time and just avoid the direct sunlight and play more in the shade come in for breaks every 45 minutes or so when there are no clouds or shade.

The way I think about it is Adam and eve never had sun block and they turned out just fine :) god made the sum for us. Plants and animals need it to survive and so do we :)

Quoting gdiamante:

Perhaps you can answer the question I asked previously in the thread, then? If someone has had severe sunburns in their past, should tanning beds be avoided? 

I have to get checked every year and had to have one mole removed last year. It wasn't pleasant and since the mole was on my arm, not pretty. I am watching a couple of suspicious spots right now. If I can spare ONE PERSON going through this or through worse it's worth it to me.

Quoting Mommyto2boys178:

Before you believe anything anyone else says. Do some research for YOUR SELF. I use to be a huge skeptic but then I started working at a tanning salon and started to educate my self alllllll about tanning the process the good the bad and the ugly. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I have become very cautious in the past few years. Of course, the forehead lines and crows' feet that have crept up in my 40s have made a difference too.

Mommyto2boys178
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Your welcome!! I hope i helped!!

Yes that will happen lol. That's called gravity and the over exposure might have had a little play in that as well :) let me know if you need anything else. If I don't know the answer I can find it. Smarttan.com has great resources!!

Quoting gdiamante:

Thanks! I have become very cautious in the past few years. Of course, the forehead lines and crows' feet that have crept up in my 40s have made a difference too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Mommyto2boys178 - Thank you for stepping in and taking my back!  It is nice to have someone trained :). 

gdiamante - I have had a mole removed years ago (not for cancer but due to God's bad placement - clothing rubbed it raw constantly...) and it was painful just for one big mole.  I can understand your fears.  I remember in the 80's the girls slathering in crisco and other oil only products. Isnt it terrible how dumb we were.  I know I wanted to look like the Hawiaian Tropic girl...and I am a blonde!  :) 

Quoting Mommyto2boys178:

Your welcome!! I hope i helped!!

Yes that will happen lol. That's called gravity and the over exposure might have had a little play in that as well :) let me know if you need anything else. If I don't know the answer I can find it. Smarttan.com has great resources!!

Quoting gdiamante:

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN