Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby Eats More Than I Can Pump! *PIOG*

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • 20 Replies

I knew I was going to have to go back to work so I started pumping and freezing my breast milk about 6 weeks before my job started. I pumped about 4 ounces per storage bag because all the guidelines say the baby should eat about 3 ounces every 2 to 3 hours. I thought I was covering my ass with the 4th ounce... Well my daughter is eating 5 to 7 ounces at a time and having 3 to 4 bottles while I am gone!!! My mom is the one that usually feeds her. She feeds her in a more upright position so the bottle is less likey to pour, burps her often and does paced feeding. I asked her if maybe my daughter is just bored and wants to play but my mom said she's tried playing with her but Greta definitely shows signs of being hungry. She'll make her a 3 ounce bottle but she always wants more. I feel like everything is being done the right way and shes still Little Miss Piggy! I can't keep up with this and I am scared! I don't want to have to supplement; I am seriously freaking out.When I am home she does nurse a lot but usually falls asleep in the process. She is only 13 weeks old and she is an average size. She isn't a huge baby at all! I need suggestions please! How should I boost my supply so that I can pump more at one time? I looked into fenugreek and its so expensive but if thats what I have to do I guess I'll have to do it. 

This is her most recent picture that shows some of her body. As you can see she has meat on her bones but she's no Michelin Baby!

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AudlyLuvly
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
She's so pretty! fenugreek really does work. There's also tea called mothers milk tea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AudlyLuvly
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Pumping more often might also stimulate more production, but since you're working, I know that might not always be possible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting norwgnwood:

I knew I was going to have to go back to work so I started pumping and freezing my breast milk about 6 weeks before my job started. I pumped about 4 ounces per storage bag because all the guidelines say the baby should eat about 3 ounces every 2 to 3 hours. I thought I was covering my ass with the 4th ounce... Well my daughter is eating 5 to 7 ounces at a time and having 3 to 4 bottles while I am gone!!! shes taking about 20-21 oz while you are gone...you do know that 24 oz is a daily total? she doesnt NEED this muchMy mom is the one that usually feeds her. She feeds her in a more upright position so the bottle is less likey to pour, burps her often and does paced feeding.NO WAY, sorry but I dont believe your mom is doing this correctly I asked her if maybe my daughter is just bored and wants to play but my mom said she's tried playing with her but Greta definitely shows signs of being hungry.this is because she is overfeeding her and now her body is USED to overfeeding, gradually cut back bottle amounts and tell mom under NO circumstances is she to continue to do this!! She'll make her a 3 ounce bottle but she always wants more.wants because her stomach is stretched she doesnt NEED more, it takes 20-30 min to feel full bottles take way less than that.  Are you using slow flow nipples? I feel like everything is being done the right way and shes still Little Miss Piggy! I can't keep up with this and I am scared! I don't want to have to supplement; I am seriously freaking out.When I am home she does nurse a lot but usually falls asleep in the process. She is only 13 weeks old and she is an average size. She isn't a huge baby at all! I need suggestions please! How should I boost my supply so that I can pump more at one time? you can't and this overfeeding will in fact means she takes less when nursing and your supply WILL dropI looked into fenugreek and its so expensive but if thats what I have to do I guess I'll have to do it. fenugreek is cheap at $6-8 a bottle but fenugreek will not raise supply way over the norm

This is her most recent picture that shows some of her body. As you can see she has meat on her bones but she's no Michelin Baby!

Mom needs to get with the program, 3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours..smaller bottles more often is what this is all about.  If she can not follow the directions find a caregiver that can.  Baby is taking bottle for comfort...NOT for hunger

crissydancer05
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM
first of all you have an adorable little girl. And the fenugreek really does work. Check your local health store, they should have the pills and there is tea. Also, drink your water. Drink, drink, drink. I keep a water bottle near by, so when you have those moments of "what to do next" you take a drink. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tylersmom119
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure that most moms will tell you that she is being overfed, and that may be true. My son took 6oz bottles for a total of 30oz while I was gone from 6:30 am to 8pm and nursed at night too. He probably was being overfed, or maybe he was just a little piggy. He's 2 now and has always been small, wearing 18 month shorts with room to spare. Anyway, the only way I could keep up with his demand was to pump often. I got up early and pumped before dropping him off, pumped at work, pumped after he went to bed. I also pumped at least twice on my days off. I hope you get some good advice, good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM
How long are you gone and how many ounces is she getting? Baby is being overfed and won't like grandma cutting back but it really is necessary. She thinks she wants that much but she doesn't need it. With the numbers you gave it sounds like baby is taking a days worth (or close to it) of breastmilk just in the time you are away. Continuing like that will kill supply and likely lead to supplementing and possibly the end of nursing. How much are you pumping while away? We can help more if you really have a pumping amount issue but it looks like its just a baby taking too much while away issue :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Please DO NOT bump in this group if you want fast answers... bumps slow things down. Oldest unanswered post gets the mods' attention first. 

OK. Mom is overfeeding. She MAY NOT give as much. Baby is supposed to be a bit hungry throughout the day and only getting enough to tide her over. Baby should NOT get "satisfied." "Satisfied" and "bump" are cuss words here. **grin**

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Hit send too soon!

Here's the analogy to keep in mind: Bottle = famine, breast = feast.

The bottle is like that piece of wheat toast you scarf down on your way out the door. At the breast, baby gets the full meal.

RozyMama
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree that you need to really put your foot down about feeding no more than 1-1.25 ounces per hour. My daughter *would* take 5+ ounces per feeding if she was allowed, especially in the early months. They don't pace themselves well and don't register feelings of fullness for a while after eating. Have your mom very slowly feed her 3 oz, then find other ways to soothe for the next 30 minutes if she's fussy. Take a walk, try a paci, whatever. If she's still showing active hunger cues (not sleepy, gassy, etc) then try ONE more ounce, slowly. Those were my instructions to my sitter, and I don't think she ever used that extra ounce. When my mom watched her though, she ALWAYS gave the extra ounce and then some. Grandmas love fat and happy babies - they tend to be guilty of overfeedinv.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Wayyyy overfed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN