Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

anyone use a nursing necklace???

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2007 at 4:07 PM
  • 13 Replies
i want to make one, i just wondered if any one had any experience with a homemade one, or wearing one in general..what she may like best, etc...

"Nursing Necklaces or Breastfeeding Necklaces have many additional benefits:

• a nursing necklace is a soothing play toy when child is breastfeeding (stop that annoying "twiddling"!, hair pulling, pinching, BITING, etc.)
  • nursing necklaces provide excellent visual and tactile stimulation that furthers cognitive development
  • a nursing necklace can provide FOCUS for distractible nurslings
  • nursing necklaces can be a teaching tool as mom and child explore colors, shapes, letters, child's name  
  • when breastfeeding is done, the nursing necklace remains as a keepsake of that special time
  • EXCELLENT "quiet toy" for toddlers, under supervision, while out and about."

i want to make something like this one, something with baby oriented beads, rather than the "mamas wearing a normal necklace" kind. and it has a breakaway bead, i don't know how necessary that would be? or how hard to find? i don't think she'd strangle me anytime soon without it, she's just starting to get distracted...anyway, anyone here ever even wear one at all? cause if it didn't help, that would be good to know too!
  thanks all, ammasmama

by on Apr. 30, 2007 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
no_2ontheway
by on Apr. 30, 2007 at 4:13 PM
I have never heard of this before. It sounds like a neat idea. I dont think I would use one though. Once my son was old enough that he started getting distracted, I got a little burp cloth with silky tags all over the edges. My friend made it for me, she bought one at a pricey baby boutique. I always had SO much milk that I needed a new cloth every feeding just to keep myself dry. He would rub one of the tags the whole time he nursed.
ammasmama
by on Apr. 30, 2007 at 4:15 PM
i was thinking about "decorating" a bandana i sometimes wear around my neck, sounds kinda similar, in a way!
mamadragon
by on Apr. 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM
Nothing to add, but I'll be watching this with interest. My son has taken to pinching me on the chest and under my arm while he nurses, hard enough to leave bruises. I've been looking at nursing necklaces online. I don't know anyone that actually has one or has made one.
MomlovesAudrey
by on Apr. 30, 2007 at 4:20 PM
Hmm...this is interesting. I have a 3 week old..don't think I need that yet, but its something to keep in mind.
EvasMama
by on Apr. 30, 2007 at 4:24 PM
I've given some serious thought to making one for myself.

Eva needs something to occupy her outside arm while she nurses...she pinches and slaps.  Too bad the necklace won't occupy her feet; she kicks the non-nursing nipple!!!
ammasmama
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:20 PM
yeaaa!! i finally made it and she loves it! hemp and plastic beads, no way the hemp is breaking, and i can remake it as often as necessary anyway... it says "i love amelia joan", "amma", and "milk"!
bowiegirl
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:37 PM
jc penneys has a nursing bra with colorful designs on the flap with the same idea. mostly for younger babies who need visual stimulation tho
whittear
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:41 PM
Thank you SO much for this post! I have also never heard of these, but I think they are a fantastic idea! I need to try something because my 8 month old is so easily distracted now and he likes to try to grab at my breast like he would a bottle and he sort of scratches them. You should see my poor scratched up breasts! I will be looking for, or making one of these and trying them out very soon.

wyandemmasmama
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:55 PM
I made one the other day too... not as cool as yours though...lol! And, by the way, our daughter's share a name! Only, I spelled it with an E... Emelia. That way we can call her Emma... lol! Her brother started calling her that when I found out I was prego...:)
PeanutMM
by on May. 18, 2007 at 12:01 AM

I used one when my dd was younger...from about 4 months to a year...then she lost interest with it.  She would hold on to the beads and she LOVED playing with them and looking at the bright color.  My older dd and I sat down with some fun wooden beads and thick string and I let her make them.  She was SO proud to tell people that she made my necklace and the baby loved playing with it.  I HIGHLY recomend them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN