Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Common phrases/Misconceptions about breastfeeding

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 6:28 AM
  • 101 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi guys,

I'm writing a series of letters to my daughter (who is now just about 7 weeks old), and am talking about different common misconceptions or phrases about breastfeeding such as "Human pacifier", etc.

Hopefully most of them will be obsolete by the time she's grown up.

What are the most annoying misconceptions that you tend to hear repeated all the time? I'm gathering a list so that I can write about every last damned one of them so that I can put them together in a book for Kira when she's pregnant with her first. :) 

by on May. 31, 2012 at 6:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2012 at 6:32 AM
Bump I'm new to bf-ing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on May. 31, 2012 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Bump I'm new to bf-ing

Kudos on making the choice to breastfeed. Hope it's going well for you and you find this group supportive! I wish I had found the group before my first child had been born. I'd have been much better prepared.

Dylansmom_2010
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:07 AM
7 moms liked this
The one I really don't understand is "You have to drink milk to make milk.". Good thing that's not true since I had to go completely dairy free due to an allergy at 3 months. We're still nursing at 28 months :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 31, 2012 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this
"your breasts are too small to breastfeed a baby"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 31, 2012 at 7:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Ways to tell you have enough milk: breasts feeling full, going from "hard" to "soft" during a feeding and then back again, baby satisfied for hrs after feedings, leaking, feeling letdown..... they all mean nada.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 31, 2012 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this
Myths: Supplementing in hospital bc milk hadn't come in yet. Supplementing necessary with formula for jaundice or low blood sugar. Nursing oneself "dry" or "empty"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
creationary
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm a SAHM, and my kids don't see family much since thy live hours away. So both of them, as babies, want nothing to do with my mom. She blames it on breastfeeding and thinks they are spoiled "titty babies." I don't know if you would want to put that out there for your daughter, lol, but I just wantex to share how annoying it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM
4 moms liked this
Myths: That you can't drink coffee or alcohol (in moderation). That you can't eat broccoli, chocolate, Mexican or other spicy food, beans, sushi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RichMommy
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:56 AM
7 moms liked this
You can't work full time & breastfeed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
You must be a granola crunching hippy with long armpit hair if you breastfeed (especially full term)
Breastfeeding is too much work, formula is easier. (My SIL actually said she was too lazy to breastfeed.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)