Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing all night long four nights in a row? *edit*

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM
  • 14 Replies
Will we ever sleep again?? (Haha, kidding...) anyways, for four nights now dd wakes up screaming every 30 mins to an hour & literally nursing all night long but at some points she still screams, kicks, pinches, even as she's nursing. She usually sleeps in her crib next to our bed but I've put her in bed the last few nights. Idk what's bothering her. I would guess teething but the teething symptoms have been nonstop for months & still no teeth. This angry nursing all night long is new though. Is this her way of telling me she's in pain or something else? She's fine during the day. Has anyone else's LOs went through this? I feel bad for her :(

Edit: dd is going to be 7 months in a few days by the way. I'm nursing her every hour & she's refusing all solids. She's still struggling to sleep. She's tired and trying but is fussing the whole time.the rocker is helping but that's about it. I'm going to try teething tablets of she can't fall asleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM

How old is she?

dietsunkist
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Almost 7 months in a few days

Quoting K8wizzo:

How old is she?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I'm thinking teeth.

But death, taxes and never sleeping a full night again are the three guarantees of motherhood!

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Is she still nursing as much during the day as she was or has she gotten more interested in other things?  Are you doing solids in the evening?  I found that nursing more during the day and doing solids only earlier in the day helped tremendously with the sleeping thing.  Amber, teething tablets or gel, and tylenol or motrin all worked well for teething here.

dietsunkist
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

Is she still nursing as much during the day as she was or has she gotten more interested in other things?  Are you doing solids in the evening?  I found that nursing more during the day and doing solids only earlier in the day helped tremendously with the sleeping thing.  Amber, teething tablets or gel, and tylenol or motrin all worked well for teething here.

Hmm... I'm trying to think but I don't think she's nursing too much during the day and definitely playing a lot. I'm not doing solids at all anymore because she still has gag reflex. I will try nursing her more during the day but it seems like she just wants to suck all night long more than wanting to eat, if that makes sense. Like, my nipple has to be in her mouth or she won't sleep. Normally she'll fall asleep & I'll unlatch her & she'll be okay but it's like she's not falling asleep deeply and is just having trouble sleeping. Teething tablets & Tylenol both work well but I worry that if I give something to her every night it will hurt her. Should I just give it every night? We've been "teething" for months that I don't know how much longer this will last.

dietsunkist
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

I'm thinking teeth.

But death, taxes and never sleeping a full night again are the three guarantees of motherhood!

When all this first started, we had so many people who would see her & tell us "That child is about to cut a tooth in the next few weeks, just wait!"... then a month later, it was "Oh she's definitely cutting a tooth this week" LOL It's been 3 months & we're still waiting! These teeth need to come out now! I'm jealous of all my friends who woke up one day to find teeth in their babies' mouths!

MomofAlice
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM
My dd started the same thing around 7 months. She is 9 months now, still no teeth and we are going strong with her "new" schedule. I am told it will pass and I am not so patiently waiting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM

First fix: offer to nurse her every hour through the day, even if she only nurses for a few minutes each time.  If she's not nursing enough during the day, she's going to be hungry at night because she didn't get her day's worth of milk when the sun was up but she'll also be tired from all the playing which gets you to waking frequently to suck tiredly for a while and then fall asleep until the hunger wakes her again.  Been there, done that--my ds reverse-cycled for 5 months and I'm a sahm, so he had no reason to do so.

For the teething, I never gave any med routinely before bed.  If either one of my kiddos woke up in pain a couple of times (wake crying, nurse/rock/snuggle back to sleep, 15-20 minutes later up and crying in pain again), I'd start with hyland's gel or teething tablets and then work up to tylenol if that wasn't enough.  Once we got an amber necklace for my youngest, I'd put it on his ankle, covered with a sock, at bedtime and that helped considerably as well.

dietsunkist
by on May. 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Quoting MomofAlice:

My dd started the same thing around 7 months. She is 9 months now, still no teeth and we are going strong with her "new" schedule. I am told it will pass and I am not so patiently waiting.

Yikes :( I hope your LO gets teeth soon & really hoping this isn't a "new schedule" for her too!

slransde
by on May. 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Teething tablets gave my little man diarrhea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)