Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing all night long four nights in a row? *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post
Will we ever sleep again?? (Haha, kidding...) anyways, for four nights now dd wakes up screaming every 30 mins to an hour & literally nursing all night long but at some points she still screams, kicks, pinches, even as she's nursing. She usually sleeps in her crib next to our bed but I've put her in bed the last few nights. Idk what's bothering her. I would guess teething but the teething symptoms have been nonstop for months & still no teeth. This angry nursing all night long is new though. Is this her way of telling me she's in pain or something else? She's fine during the day. Has anyone else's LOs went through this? I feel bad for her :(

Edit: dd is going to be 7 months in a few days by the way. I'm nursing her every hour & she's refusing all solids. She's still struggling to sleep. She's tired and trying but is fussing the whole time.the rocker is helping but that's about it. I'm going to try teething tablets of she can't fall asleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Replies (11-14):
dietsunkist
by on May. 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

First fix: offer to nurse her every hour through the day, even if she only nurses for a few minutes each time.  If she's not nursing enough during the day, she's going to be hungry at night because she didn't get her day's worth of milk when the sun was up but she'll also be tired from all the playing which gets you to waking frequently to suck tiredly for a while and then fall asleep until the hunger wakes her again.  Been there, done that--my ds reverse-cycled for 5 months and I'm a sahm, so he had no reason to do so.

For the teething, I never gave any med routinely before bed.  If either one of my kiddos woke up in pain a couple of times (wake crying, nurse/rock/snuggle back to sleep, 15-20 minutes later up and crying in pain again), I'd start with hyland's gel or teething tablets and then work up to tylenol if that wasn't enough.  Once we got an amber necklace for my youngest, I'd put it on his ankle, covered with a sock, at bedtime and that helped considerably as well.

I'm trying the nursing every hour right now & she is nursing well. She's trying to nap right now but is still fussing and nursing the whole time, rather than sleeping. I wanted to try an amber necklace but DH doesn't want to. I'm definitely willing to try it right now. Where do you get them from?

sreichelt26
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I'm thinking teeth - good chance she's actually cutting them this time. That kind of poor sllep/crying pattern is exactly what we go through when dd's cutting teeth.

She also started teething (showing symptoms) at 2 months and cut teeth at 7 months.

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 31, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Inspired by Finn or Chained Links on hyenacart.com

Quoting dietsunkist:

Quoting K8wizzo:

First fix: offer to nurse her every hour through the day, even if she only nurses for a few minutes each time.  If she's not nursing enough during the day, she's going to be hungry at night because she didn't get her day's worth of milk when the sun was up but she'll also be tired from all the playing which gets you to waking frequently to suck tiredly for a while and then fall asleep until the hunger wakes her again.  Been there, done that--my ds reverse-cycled for 5 months and I'm a sahm, so he had no reason to do so.

For the teething, I never gave any med routinely before bed.  If either one of my kiddos woke up in pain a couple of times (wake crying, nurse/rock/snuggle back to sleep, 15-20 minutes later up and crying in pain again), I'd start with hyland's gel or teething tablets and then work up to tylenol if that wasn't enough.  Once we got an amber necklace for my youngest, I'd put it on his ankle, covered with a sock, at bedtime and that helped considerably as well.

I'm trying the nursing every hour right now & she is nursing well. She's trying to nap right now but is still fussing and nursing the whole time, rather than sleeping. I wanted to try an amber necklace but DH doesn't want to. I'm definitely willing to try it right now. Where do you get them from?

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

My 20 month old refuses solids a lot. He wil go through all sorts of stages. One moment he is sleeping so well at night and not nursing that much, and eating solids pretty well, and the next moment he is like a newborn wanting to nurse nonstop and not wantingh any solids (even the foods he loved). Teething can be a huge facter, as well as growth spurts or developmental milestones.

At 7 months old all my kids were ebfed and nursed varies times at night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)