Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What would you do? Or have you done?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM
  • 19 Replies

I wear a cover to nurse because I'm not quite practiced enough to do it without. Anyways, this little boy at this birthday party (he was turning 6) was trying to peep in and curious as to what I was doing. He said, "Is he sleeping?". Well, he was eating, not sleeping but I didn't know if the boys parents would like me explaining that to him. I mean the lactivist in me wanted to say eating but.....I said, "Yeah, he's sleeping.". I don't like lying...even to children or especially to children. 

What would you have done?

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I have been in similar situations and I always told the truth.

R3G1N4_L0V3
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

BUMP!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have told the truth. If his parent became upset, that's on them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I would've said he was eating :)
You'd be very surprised at how unphased little kids are towards breastfeeding. Chances are if you told him the truth he would've said "ok" and carried on with whatever he was doing lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ajohnson2334
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Heaven forbid you tell a child what breasts are naturally for!! (Sarcasm - not being mean, but the fact that people need to pussyfoot around something like breastfeeding just boggles me. It's not like you were flopping your boob out and showing him what its about.

I have said to curious kiddos (I have only been asked twice: "where's the baby/whats the baby doing") that the baby is eating, but if they ask why like that or where's the bottle, I say that they need to ask their mom or dad. - no mentioning of my woman parts and no making it sound dirty, and it puts it on a parent to decide what to tell their kids, and I have never actually had a child ask that I am aware of both just said "ok" and ran off to play...sorry for the run on sentence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell children that baby is eating. If they ask how or why, I ask them if they know what a mammal is. Then we have a little talk about how people are mammals, and how to tell mammals from reptiles etc. I'm not phased by this kind of thing. The kids' parents know what I'm doing, of they didn't want thier lid to ask, then they should take care of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I tell the truth.

I used a maya wrap with DS for awhile -it kept everything hidden but baby could nurse or peek out. I don't use any cover now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. I was terrified my cousin was going to tear off my cover and then I'd have to deal with his mom being angry at what he saw. When he asked what my dd was doing, I said eating. He said "oh she likes to eat under a blanket?" I said yep! And he walked away. I still don't know how his mom stands on bfing, but I am glad I didn't have to answer any questions.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:29 AM
This is exactly how I talked to my older son about it when I was pregnant with his brother. He had just learned about mammals in school, so it was easy. He was 5/6 years old.

Quoting maggiandmike:

I tell children that baby is eating. If they ask how or why, I ask them if they know what a mammal is. Then we have a little talk about how people are mammals, and how to tell mammals from reptiles etc. I'm not phased by this kind of thing. The kids' parents know what I'm doing, of they didn't want thier lid to ask, then they should take care of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I would have said that he was eating (or nursing depending on the kid's prior exposure to breastfeeding). Most of the time they just say "oh, ok!" and walk away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN