Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What would you do? Or have you done?

Posted by   + Show Post

I wear a cover to nurse because I'm not quite practiced enough to do it without. Anyways, this little boy at this birthday party (he was turning 6) was trying to peep in and curious as to what I was doing. He said, "Is he sleeping?". Well, he was eating, not sleeping but I didn't know if the boys parents would like me explaining that to him. I mean the lactivist in me wanted to say eating but.....I said, "Yeah, he's sleeping.". I don't like lying...even to children or especially to children. 

What would you have done?

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Replies (11-19):
JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM
i wd say the baby is eating, but dont think i wd give a biology lesson :)
the 1st time SS asked i just told him DS needed privacy. he goes "oh that makes sense". now i am better at being desctrete but he still doesnt bother to interact with him or me till DS is done nursing. i think he understands enough, if he asked anymore Qs i wd be honest but he is not concerned enough. haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I have been in similar situations and I always told the truth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:07 AM

i have been in this situation i told the little boy the baby is eating right now and he just said oh and walked away he was about 8

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM
I say eating. If the kid asks more questions, I try to answer in an age appropriate way, like "you know how a cat feeds kittens... that is what I am doing with my baby!"

My neighbor's daughter is obsessed with me. She will stare me down! She's 3, though, so it's cute! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gingerella
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

These are all good ideas. It was just a situation that I had never been put in before. I guess I saw it going the worst possible way, haha..but next time I'll be more prepared. I mean there are scenerios that I've prepared for like being confronted for NIP and I'm prepared to stand up for myself with info but I just hadn't prepared for this scenerio. 

KMadsen
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

That happened when my daughter was about 3 months. My little cousin asked what she was doing under there so I told him that she was eating. He asked what she was eating so I told him milk. He goes yuck and walked away, lol.

kate_m.
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM
I actually had this happen to me Monday. The girl was 8 and asked what dd2 was doing. I told her she was eating and she asked with a bottel and I told her no, then asked her mom how she would like for me to explain it, so she was happy to explain it to her and her response was ewww lol it was kind of funny. But I am never sure how to handle it either. I like the mammal idea though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

When this happens to me I answer truthfully, but simply.. "drinking milk." 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I tell kids that ask, baby is eating but we'll be done in a few minutes then you can see the baby. And just leave it at that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN