Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm ready to just quit. Sigh.. :(

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:40 AM
  • 33 Replies
Ember turned 6mo old today and I'm super proud to have made it this far. It was a rocky road but we got here. She got her bottom two teeth last weekend and has been biting the hell out of me. Its not just a bite, it's like a bite/rip/roll.. think alligator. If I yelp she looks startled and grins. If I unlatch and say no, she grins and just waits for boob.

I'm not WANTING to quit, but I'm at my wits end with this biting. She's gotten sooo much formula this week, and my supply has made a slight dip, but very much there.

Please help. Encouragment, tips.. anything. My nips feel like they're about to fall off. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misslady80013
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:43 AM
Here's a bump. My son is only 8 weeks but he does try to pull mu nipple off. I am scared for when he gets teeth. Anyway, I know a few ladies in this group can give you some tips to try. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:43 AM
2 moms liked this
Nursing manners. It is absolutely not to early to teach.

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/nursing-manners-2/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:44 AM
This.

And way to go on 6 months. That's great!

Quoting TTC2Long:

Nursing manners. It is absolutely not to early to teach.

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/nursing-manners-2/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Keda84
by Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Oh sorry. Read that link anyway, but this is the one specifically on biting.

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:51 AM
When she bites, a firm "no!!!" Set her down for a good few minutes. No formula or alternate food/liquid. She nurses nicely or she's hungry/thirsty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Also keep you finger nearby to break the latch if she gets rough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicky2911
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Take a good look at your bottles. I was getting gummed like a crazy person to the point I stopped actually nursing and pumped exclusively for a while. Then I tried rinsing a bottle out one day and realized the easiest way to get milk out of the nipple I was using was to pinch it (basically for her to chomp down on it). I realized these were why she was gumming me whenever she would get frustrated because thats how she made the bottle fork over the milk. I quickly replaced them with nipples that actually stopped flowing all together when you pinched them. Big difference! Good luck momma.

ETA: These were actually the nipples that came with the breast pump I was using. It was supposed to be a pump meant for comfort and it didn't occur to me at first that it would be a bad nipple to use. I can't remember if they said they were good for breastfeeding babies but they may have actually.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:54 AM
Yep when she bites she needs to be removed immediately firmly told no we dont bite mommy that hurts, set her down facing away from you and end the nursing session. she can try again in a few minutes but if the behavior is the same consequences have to be the same
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting misslady80013:

Here's a bump. My son is only 8 weeks but he does try to pull mu nipple off. I am scared for when he gets teeth. Anyway, I know a few ladies in this group can give you some tips to try. Good luck!

my son is 5 weeks and does the same thing. I think its when he's tired but is not wanting to sleep. why do u think they do it? it def hurts!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)