Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

?s @ transitioning from breast milk to cow milk.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi ladies!

My DD will be 1 year in two weeks and I'd like to transition her to cow's milk for when she is at the daycare.  Currently, I pump 2x while at work for the next day but 1.) I'm not responding to the pump well anymore and 2.) I'd LOVE to stop pumping.  (I have to say I am very proud of myself for being able to pump and keep up w/ DDs consumption at the daycare for an entire year.  It was one heck of a hard road!) 

I had some questions and concerns about this though. 

If I send cow's milk for her at the daycare during the week, will I still produce enough on the weekend to nurse her during those times she normally would have the cow's milk?  She still nurses about 7-8 times per 24 hours on the weekend / 5 or so times/24 hours during the week. Will my body be able to fulfill those 2 extra nursing on the weekends only?  I'm afraid either I won't produce enough or I'll end up engorged a bit during the beginning of the week.

Also, the daycare gives 5 oz of milk for breakfast, snack, lunch, and another snack.  That seems excessive to me.  I don't mind her having milk but would personally prefer her to have water w/ atleast lunch and maybe breakfast.  Does she really need that much cow's milk? 

Thanks in advance! - Anna

by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM

She doesn't need any milk as long as shes nursing 3 times a day. Your body will adjust to not pumping during the day. You'll likely see a dip during the day on the weekends so she may just nurse less because theres less or she may nurse more on weekends to build  it up.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM

1. Yes. It FOREVER adjusts. Milk is made on demand, not according to a schedule. You may cross that worry off your list.

2. No... and she likely won't drink that much anyway. Mine would take two sips and be done. You can certainly tell them you don't want them givin that much.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That is alot of milk. Personally if I was going to still be nursing, I'd just send water. She doesn't need cows milk. You're body will adjust.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
When my son turned one he basically stopped taking my milk when i was away. I pumped a bit longer but he refused it. We gave solids and water and a tiny bit of juice and nursed when home. Three nursings a day and no other milk is needed. They are giving 20oz a day and its not recommended to do over 16oz in cows milk daily anyways. My daycare did three ounces each meal and water with snack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krysta622
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Since she is still nursing, you don't need to use cow milk at all.  Water is fine for daycare.  If you decide you wan t her to have all 3 servings at daycare, have them start with one serving for a week or two, then add the 2nd, then the 3rd  15 oz isn't excessive for cow milk per day, but isn't necessary either.  It's totally up to you.

Krysta622
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Oops, read that wrong. 4 5oz servings... if you want her to have the milk all 4 times, you might suggest they give her 3 oz water, and when she finishes that, they can offer 2 oz milk.  But again, it's really up to you.  And your supply should adjust to the new nursing pattern.

annaica
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM
all i did was let her drink the milk from my cup here and there and then offered her small amounts in her cup. eventually she started asking for "cow milk" vs "mama milk" :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimmaylove013
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Ask them to give her water at snack time. At 1 year they only need 2 8oz cups a day. I also never give my kids whole milk. 2% at a year and non-fat at 2 year and on.
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Yep - they only "need" whole milk if they aren't nursing. Your milk has PLENTY of fat, and it's the best kind for her, too!

Quoting kimmaylove013:

Ask them to give her water at snack time. At 1 year they only need 2 8oz cups a day. I also never give my kids whole milk. 2% at a year and non-fat at 2 year and on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jocelynred
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

how do they know they are giving 5oz for each meal? do they use a sippy cup or bottle? if they just pour it in a paper cup they probably only pour a tiny bit at a time. i agree that is a lot of milk! daycares do have certain regulations they have to follow. you'll probably have to ask for special permission for them to not give her that much. i assume they provide the milk since there is no way to guarantee freshness otherwise? (that's how it is in my state al least) i worked at one daycare where they provided every type of milk under the sun. all you had to do was ask for the kind you wanted for your child. another daycare i worked at said they needed a note from a dr. to not serve milk or to serve another type of milk. they did not provide anything other than cow's milk (whole for tod's, 2% for older kids).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)