Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding- Public Feedings- and Pumping.... mixed feelings??

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok so- I am a first time mom to a baby boy, Rion Chase. He is 4 weeks old :). He is only breast fed. Other than the 2 times my husband used my pumped milk to be able to fed him. 

I am not to sure about how comfortable I am feeding him in public. I have fed him in public. I have a Nursing cover that I use, but, sometimes it would be so much easier to be able to give him a bottle. And I know I can take pumped milk but, I dont really understand how to store and travel with pumped milk. All of the babies I have been around were all formula babies. But, when I think about him getting a bottle I get all emotional. It makes me feel less needed. Even tho it is MY MILK, it makes me feel like I am some how pushing my mommy duties off. And thats not the case at all !!! I suppose that is something I will have to square away with myself- But did any of you experience this and if so what did you do about it??

Also- I am not JUST curious about how to pump for public convience, I am also wanting to allow my egar in-laws and parents have a few hours with their grandson alone. They want to do the whole grand kid spoil and show off day, like any other grandparent..lol. Anywho, not sure WHEN I will feel comfortable enough to leave him for a few hours. But, when I do I would like to feel comfortable knowing my little boy is being fed properly and getting enough. 

I guess to sum up my main question:

*--How do you manage pumped milk?

*--How do you serve pumped milk that has been chilled or frozen?

*--How do I determine how much milk I need to take or give for the time away from me?

*--How do I pack milk to take out for the day, if its needed??

*--Did anyone else feel guilty or sad for pumping? if so what helped you get over it??

Thanks in Advance for any information. 

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heathercm26
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM
I had terrible feelings about allowing others to take care of or nurture the baby.

I didnt even want them to hold her. I felt like a mama bear. I didnt even feel comfortable with my mom. Sge is a baby whisperer and my hormones kept telling me not to let the baby out of my sight.

Your hormones will level out eventually.

I loved being "the one" for my baby. I loved that i had "grown her with JUST my body and milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM
2 moms liked this

remember when you replace a feed with a bottle feed you have to pump the same time as well or your supply will suffer. So that mrans carring your bottle in a cooler as well as your pump wherever you go. I used to do this but its such a hasstle I started practicing the two shirt method in front of a mirror til I could do it w/o showing everything and was comfortable

Tea4Tas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:40 AM

IF you are going to give a bottle of expressed milk, get the baby in the habit of drinking it cold (breastmilk can be at room temp longer than formula) when I started my kids on bottles (NEVER before 6 weeks) I gave it pumped from the tap.  Then I started chilling it a bit first. Eventually they got so they would drink it cold from the fridge or cooler-so much easier. I also NEVER switched from the infant flow nipple-why make the bottle easier for them? All  4 of my kids breastfed for about 2 years.

And feeding in public? It's a breast and a nipple-a glimpse of it won't hurt anyone-and the vast majority of people will look away if they see you struggling-and if they don't? It's skin-just like your foot or ankle or neck.....

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Try practicing in front of a mirror, you'd be very surprised to see that once you get the hang of it, you can barely even tell you're nursing. If you give a bottle, you need to pump for that feeding not just for comfort but for supply. Bottles should never be larger than 3oz, so 2oz every 2hrs or 3oz every 3hrs. It's highly recommended that mom is never the one to give bottles, it can cause all sorts of confusion for baby.
Honestly mama, I was the same exact way you were. I was uncomfortable nursing in public so I would waste all this time trying to pump enough for a bottle (which took days because I had a crappy pump) and then she'd get the bottle while we were out and I'd end up extremely engorged and uncomfortable and in pain. I quickly realized it was sooooo not worth all that crap.
You made it clear that you don't like pumping and bottles make you sad. Nursing in public takes some getting used to, but after a few times, it just comes so natural you don't even think, you just do! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I would pump for a bottle and none of mine would even consider taking them.  They would just starve until I could get there and then gorge for awhile.  When he's a little older and can go longer periods without nursing, it will be easier to give the grandparents their one on one times.  Society has become so trained to formula anymore, it's hard for them to understand the nursing mama mindset sometimes.  My family adjusted to the demands of nursing and so will yours eventually:)  We're about to have number 4 and no one even asks if we're nursing this one.  They know that babe and I are a package deal for at leat the first year and a half!

carolyntx
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Goes like this, directly after pumping your milk can stay out up to five hours (this is best to do if you know baby will use it soon) after that fridge for up to 5 days, then into the freezer where it will keep for 5-6 months. For what you're wanting, I'd suggest pumping for 15minutes twice a day (when you wake and go to sleep) this will build up a little supply and train your body to the pump. Remember that when baby is away you'll want to pump every 2-3 hours to maintain supply. I know it defeats the purpose of having a sitter lol you get no break!

*--How do you serve pumped milk that has been chilled or frozen? If frozen, allow it to thaw then warm in a cup of warm water, same for chilled milk. If you're only going out a short while, put the milk in the bottle cold and by the time u need it it should be up to room temp.

*--How do I determine how much milk I need to take or give for the time away from me? 1oz to 1.5oz for each hour away

*--How do I pack milk to take out for the day, if its needed?? On ice packs, then warm as needed with warm water

*--Did anyone else feel guilty or sad for pumping? if so what helped you get over it?? I hated pumping but it was necessary. If you really hate nursing in public then I guess you just have to decide which u hate more, pumping or nip... As for grandparents, they could take u with them to show off the baby... Afterall, mom and baby are a pair. There is no rule that says grandparents get alone time with baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Quoting ambernicolle:

Ok so- I am a first time mom to a baby boy, Rion Chase. He is 4 weeks old :). He is only breast fed. Other than the 2 times my husband used my pumped milk to be able to fed him. 

I am not to sure about how comfortable I am feeding him in public. I have fed him in public. I have a Nursing cover that I use, but, sometimes it would be so much easier to be able to give him a bottle. And I know I can take pumped milk but, I dont really understand how to store and travel with pumped milk.

Put in cooler with an ice pack. Go. Really really simple. No special rules.

All of the babies I have been around were all formula babies. But, when I think about him getting a bottle I get all emotional. It makes me feel less needed. Even tho it is MY MILK, it makes me feel like I am some how pushing my mommy duties off. And thats not the case at all !!! I suppose that is something I will have to square away with myself- But did any of you experience this and if so what did you do about it??

I didn't have that feeling... but I also didn't bother with a bottle. If he needed feeding he got fed. I have nothing that every person over the age of 12 doesn't know about and hasn't at least seen a photo of. I didn't care what people saw. 

I don't believe in body modesty. The modesty God cares about is the kind that keeps us from putting ourselves about others. He didn't put a Macys in the Garden, after all.

Also- I am not JUST curious about how to pump for public convience, I am also wanting to allow my egar in-laws and parents have a few hours with their grandson alone. They want to do the whole grand kid spoil and show off day, like any other grandparent..lol. Anywho, not sure WHEN I will feel comfortable enough to leave him for a few hours. But, when I do I would like to feel comfortable knowing my little boy is being fed properly and getting enough. 

I guess to sum up my main question:

The same as ANY other food. It's merely food. 

*--How do you serve pumped milk that has been chilled or frozen?

Warm in a cup of warm water. Feed.

*--How do I determine how much milk I need to take or give for the time away from me?

1 - 1.25 ounces per hour you're gone. Servings of 2-3 ounces.

*--How do I pack milk to take out for the day, if its needed??

See above.

*--Did anyone else feel guilty or sad for pumping? if so what helped you get over it??

HATED pumped. No guilt, no sadness. Utter frustration. It's legal slavery.

Thanks in Advance for any information. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Quoting carolyntx:

Goes like this, directly after pumping your milk can stay out up to five hours (this is best to do if you know baby will use it soon)
Six hours is the minimum at room temp, Carolyn. Here's the handy-dandy kellymopm guide on how to handle human milk. It's the Bible on the matter:

Storage guidelines

HUMAN MILK STORAGE – QUICK REFERENCE CARD
TemperatureStorage Time
Freshly expressed milk
Warm room73-77°F / 23-25°C4 hours
Room temperature66-72°F / 19-22°C6-10 hours
Insulated cooler / icepacks59°F / 15°C24 hours
Refrigerated Milk (Store at back, away from door)
Refrigerator (fresh milk)32-39°F / 0-4°C8 days (ideal: 72 hrs)
Refrigerator (thawed milk)32-39°F / 0-4°C24 hours
Frozen Milk (Do not refreeze! Store at back, away from door/sides)
Freezer compartment 

inside refrigerator (older-style)

Varies2 weeks
Self-contained freezer unit 

of a refrigerator/freezer

Varies: 0°F / -18°C3-4 months
Separate deep freeze0°F / -18°C12 months (ideal: 6 months)
These guidelines are for milk expressed for a full-term healthy baby. 

If baby is seriously ill and/or hospitalized, discuss storage guidelines with baby’s doctor.

To avoid waste and for easier thawing & warming, store milk in 1-4 ounce portions. Date milk before storing. Milk from different pumping sessions/days may be combined in one container – use the date of the first milk expressed. 

Breastmilk is not spoiled unless it smells really bad or tastes sour.

To thaw milk

• Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.
  • For quicker thawing, hold container under running water – start cool and gradually increase temperature.

Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.

To warm milk

• Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or
  • Use a bottle warmer.
  • NEVER microwave human milk or heat it directly on the stove.

The cream will rise to the top of the milk during storage. Gently swirl milk (do not shake) to mix before checking temperature and offering to baby.

If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded.

after that fridge for up to 5 days, then into the freezer where it will keep for 5-6 months. For what you're wanting, I'd suggest pumping for 15minutes twice a day (when you wake and go to sleep) this will build up a little supply and train your body to the pump. Remember that when baby is away you'll want to pump every 2-3 hours to maintain supply. I know it defeats the purpose of having a sitter lol you get no break!

*--How do you serve pumped milk that has been chilled or frozen? If frozen, allow it to thaw then warm in a cup of warm water, same for chilled milk. If you're only going out a short while, put the milk in the bottle cold and by the time u need it it should be up to room temp.

*--How do I determine how much milk I need to take or give for the time away from me? 1oz to 1.5oz for each hour away

*--How do I pack milk to take out for the day, if its needed?? On ice packs, then warm as needed with warm water

*--Did anyone else feel guilty or sad for pumping? if so what helped you get over it?? I hated pumping but it was necessary. If you really hate nursing in public then I guess you just have to decide which u hate more, pumping or nip... As for grandparents, they could take u with them to show off the baby... Afterall, mom and baby are a pair. There is no rule that says grandparents get alone time with baby.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

This.

I never considered bringing bottles with me. It is really so much easier to just nurse than to have to worry about warming bottles. With my second, I used the layering technique and most people didn't even know that he was nursing. I also used my mei tai (got it at 6 months) so I could just continue with whatever I was doing.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Try practicing in front of a mirror, you'd be very surprised to see that once you get the hang of it, you can barely even tell you're nursing. If you give a bottle, you need to pump for that feeding not just for comfort but for supply. Bottles should never be larger than 3oz, so 2oz every 2hrs or 3oz every 3hrs. It's highly recommended that mom is never the one to give bottles, it can cause all sorts of confusion for baby.
Honestly mama, I was the same exact way you were. I was uncomfortable nursing in public so I would waste all this time trying to pump enough for a bottle (which took days because I had a crappy pump) and then she'd get the bottle while we were out and I'd end up extremely engorged and uncomfortable and in pain. I quickly realized it was sooooo not worth all that crap.
You made it clear that you don't like pumping and bottles make you sad. Nursing in public takes some getting used to, but after a few times, it just comes so natural you don't even think, you just do! :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Randomtrixie
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Also, it's awful early for grandparents to be taking a baby alone for many many hours out and about. If they want to show off the baby, can't you go with? A baby that young doesn't need to be exposed to a bunch of other people's germs without the mom there to be making antibodies at the same time.

Grandparents will have the baby's whole life to do stuff alone. If you're not comfortable with it, don't let anyone pressure you. They can wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)