Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

more than spitting up

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 2 wk old just threw up. If I had cupped my two hands together it would have filled them. This is the 2nd or 3rd time. It's right after I finish feeding him. He will unlatch and ill move him to burp him but he threw up as soon as he was on my shoulder, before the first pat. I burp him2 - 3 times/breast. This time, he ate 3 hrs ago and only ate from one breast. This is my first time BF, the docs at the hospital said to go to the pedi if he does it very often, this isn't often IMO but still wierd. Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Do you have symptoms of an oversupply our overactive letdown?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Does it fly across the room too? Is he ha happy spitter or upset?

Let me tell you what happened with my first child. He would projectile vomit....it would go flying across the room! There are many reasons for projectile vomiting. Overactive letdown can cause this. In that cause you would block feed. Baby can get too much milk at one time and there could be a burp stuck. Block feeding and burping more frequently will help this.  It could be there is their backs are not aligned, which you could seek chiropractic care.  All these three were the issue with my son.  There are also other reasons for spitting up, but rarely is it something serious. If diapers are fine, baby is not screaming or upsetf while spitting up, and baby is still gaining and not loosing weight (besides the normal 10% weight loss in the beginning), than its mostly likely a laundry problem.

phrenicfire89
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM
What are the symptoms?

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

As long as baby is not upset before/during vomiting/spitting up, diaper count is okay, baby is meeting milestones, and baby is gaining weight, you have a laundry problem not a medical one.  My oldest DS projectile vomited 3-4 times a week until he was 14 months and spit up well over 100 times per day until he was 13 months.  He was happy while doing it until he was 4 months when it became painful.  Some reflux remedies made him comfy again, but he still spit up and vomited just as frequently.  Some babies just do that.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this
trebelcleff
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Mine did that a LOT; turns out he was allergic to milk (I drank about a half gallon of it a day).  After we found that out and I stopped drinking it, he was totally fine and he didn't vomit again (until he got an actual stomach bug).  Of course he had other symptoms as well - like the never ending neck rash that even the doc said was yeast yet never got better.  

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM
K8wizzo posted the link:)

Quoting phrenicfire89:

What are the symptoms?

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
phrenicfire89
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
This was extremely helpful thank you. Sounds like my problem exactly, especially the choking and stuff. I have basically been block nursing these past couple of days without knowing I'm doing it right lol, so with the information I can do better

Quoting K8wizzo:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
This is extremely normal stuff weather you bf or ff. Baby is on an all liquid diet, has an immature digestive system, and lays down all the time. Spit up, even a large amount, is to be expected.
If baby isn't having enough diapers or is overly distressed THEN you have a problem. (oversupply/oal being the most likely, something easily fixable) Otherwise, no worries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Reclined nursing like the pictures in that article should help as well.

Quoting phrenicfire89:

This was extremely helpful thank you. Sounds like my problem exactly, especially the choking and stuff. I have basically been block nursing these past couple of days without knowing I'm doing it right lol, so with the information I can do better

Quoting K8wizzo:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)