Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby Led Solids Take 2: Gag reflex trouble!

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 8 Replies
So I tried banana with my 9mo son the other day. He squished the chunks(I made them pea sized for his little fingers.) He tasted the banana goo. Made some funny faces. It was an overall success.

Today I tried again. I won't say it was a fail just not at all successful. I put the chunks on the tray. He picks one up, examines it, then he puts it in his mouth. He was doing good, started trying to chew a little, then the gagging starts. Before you know it the banana chunk and his entire feeding is back on the tray. The positive: I know he won't be choking.

So now what? Do I try again tomorrow? Wait a couple weeks? Assume its just not time? Try even smaller chunks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd try bigger.   Hand him half a banana and let him knaw on it.  The gag reflex is normal and they have to train it back.  Just takes time and practice.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

what I did with my kids, and everyone is different, when they were showing developmental signs of being ready for solids, I would let them have a taste of somthing I had if they were going for it and it was approved for them to have. For instance, I'm eating an apple and my son reaches for it and wants to try it, I will let him have a suck or if he bites it thats fine too.  Starting solids for us was not an every day thing, it was always just in the moment, but that tends to be how i feel comfortable doing things and I know not everyone does things this way.....but you can try it if you want.

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM
We did the same thing.

Quoting Precious333:

what I did with my kids, and everyone is different, when they were showing developmental signs of being ready for solids, I would let them have a taste of somthing I had if they were going for it and it was approved for them to have. For instance, I'm eating an apple and my son reaches for it and wants to try it, I will let him have a suck or if he bites it thats fine too.  Starting solids for us was not an every day thing, it was always just in the moment, but that tends to be how i feel comfortable doing things and I know not everyone does things this way.....but you can try it if you want.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I'd try bigger.   Hand him half a banana and let him knaw on it.  The gag reflex is normal and they have to train it back.  Just takes time and practice.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM
If he's coughing or making noise, leave him alone and let him figure it out. You only have to worry about choking when he doesn't male noise. I just started my son on chunky solids in the past few weeks. It's uncomfortable for me to step back and watch, but he is learning and it is happening less and less! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM
I know he won't choke. My concern is the vomitting. He threw up his entire feeding trying to get the banana out of his mouth. It wouldn't be an issue if he just coughed/gagged.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

If he's coughing or making noise, leave him alone and let him figure it out. You only have to worry about choking when he doesn't male noise. I just started my son on chunky solids in the past few weeks. It's uncomfortable for me to step back and watch, but he is learning and it is happening less and less! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Oh that's a boo!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM
It was pretty awful but he's such a trooper. He look concerned while he threw up but as soon as he was done he smiled and reached for another chunk. No way I was going to let a repeat happen lol!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Oh that's a boo!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)