Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need some help!

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM
  • 12 Replies
So, my daughter wakes me up around 3 cause shes ready to eat. I feed her and then we both pass out on the bed. I've tried so many things to wake myself up but nothing seems to work. Anybody else have this issue? What should i do!? (i'm a new mom btw lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as there aren't lots of blankets and pillows, and you can sleep safely with her, why stress? Co sleeping is very helpful. I slept with all of my kids to some degreƩ...and they're all sleeping in their own beds right now as I type :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

It is very safe to co sleep if done correctly. No bulky blankets/pillows/comforters, no baby between you & S/O, no co sleeping if you're obese or have taken any drugs(legal or not) or have been drinking. Never so sleep in a couch or chair. What we did was sidecarred the crib so we had the best of both worlds. We h ave coslept/bedshared like this sicne the day he was born. Last fall we switched the crib out for a toddler bed but it's still the same & he's 3 now.  This is similar to what we did but it's a  pic I found online.

mandadbaker
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Thank you ladies, i didnt hear about co sleeping until last night. I wasnt sure if many people have done it or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I would not be able to function through the day if I didn't co sleep. I can't stay awake either. The times I did try to stay awake were just plain bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Just make sure you have a safe sleep environment for the two of you and enjoy the sleep!

http://www.llli.org/faq/cosleep.html

Should I sleep with my baby?

Many mothers have found that cosleeping has many benefits for their families.

According to Dr James McKenna,

"Studies have shown that co-sleeping with a breastfeeding infant promotes bonding, regulates the mother and baby's sleep patterns, plays a role in helping the mother to become more responsive to her baby's cues, and gives both the mother and baby needed rest. The co-sleeping environment also assists mothers in the continuation of breastfeeding on demand, an important step in maintaining the mother's milk supply. " http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/faq.html

Contrary to popular opinion, cosleeping actually helps babies become independent. Meredith Small, anthropologist and author of Our Babies Ourselves, says,

"For millions of years, the normal sleeping position of human infants has been on their backs nestled next to mother. Only in western cultures do we force babies to sleep alone, thinking they are more safe and independent placed in a crib with no contact. But history, and how most babies sleep in other cultures, suggests that the West is out of step with what is best physically and emotionally for our children."

There are many ways of cosleeping. Some mothers keep their babies in bed with them all the time. Other mothers set up the crib or bassinet in the mother's room; their babies are brought to the mother's bed when they wake. Other mothers sleep with their babies on a mattress in the baby's room.

There are as many options as there are parents and babies. As babies grow and changes their sleep patterns, families often respond by changing sleeping spaces. The only right choice is what works to give the whole family as much rest as possible

Dr James McKenna suggests these safety guidelines:

• Parents should not sleep with their babies if they are smokers or have ingested alcohol or drugs.
  • Cosleep only on beds, not on couches or recliners
  • Bedding should be tight fitting to the mattress.
  • The mattress should be tight fitting to the headboard of the bed.
  • There should not be any loose pillows or soft blankets near the baby's face.
  • There should not be any space between the bed and adjoining wall where the baby could roll and become trapped.
  • The baby should not be placed on its stomach.
  • Do not cosleep if you drink alcohol or medications that make you sleepy, take drugs, or smoke

Some parents are concerned that their children will never move into their own rooms. Be assurred that while every baby and child is unique and has different needs, they all eventually become independent.

Cosleeping can be a safe and warm way to parent babies. We encourage each family to make an informed decision about what will work best for them.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM

This is what I did, and loved it!

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-your-crib-into-cosleeper.html

Turn Your Crib into a CoSleeper

Thank you to infant health advocate, Jennifer Coias, for this informative video!

If video doesn't load, watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqpbSoqvbQ

For more on the monumental benefits of sharing sleep with your baby, see the articles on this page: CoSleeping Review of Research 

Note: co-sleeping can take the form of bedsharing (sleeping on the same safe surface) or side-sleeping (within an arm's reach of baby). Both have physiological benefits for baby and mom, both foster a more effective breastfeeding relationship, and both protect from SIDS risks during the first year of life. At our home we use beds (on the floor) that are pushed together for ample, comfortable, safe sleeping space (first photo below). Like many others, we've never used a crib. However, if you already have a crib that you'd like to make use of, turning it into a co-sleeper is a fabulous idea.

Additional photo examples of how other parents have turned their crib into a side car co-sleeper:

mandadbaker
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Thats amazing, i wonder if my crib does that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Quoting mandadbaker:

Thats amazing, i wonder if my crib does that.

I think most do! I did it with 2 different cribs that I just happened to have (nothing special about them). If you can put the crib together with 3 sides, you are good to go!
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:37 AM
My crib is one of those convertible I es so that didn't work very well for me but my mattress also sits higher than most too. What I have done is I put the crib right up against my bed and this way when DD would wake up I just sit up alittle reach over and grab her. Plus with her crib being pushed up against the wall and my bed pushed into her crib, if I fell asleep nursing her I didn't worry about her rolling off or getting stuck in anything. I do not have any pics to show here :(, I took them off my phone. But it worked for us and I got more sleep than I ever did with DS who was ff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandadbaker
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Thats crazy(:
My crib is huge so idk what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)