Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just started breast feeding...

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM
  • 6 Replies
And my boobs have completely engorged with milk. My baby has gotten some out but of course he can't eat all of it. I have size c boobs. My baby is 6 days old today. I have 2 questions...1- if my baby isn't sucking all the milk out and I leave them engorged will they dry up? 2- I can't afford a nursing bra right now but I'm leaking milk everywhere. I put my bra on loosely, not even using the straps. Just something to
Put the pads in to catch the milk. Do I have to worry about drying up?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Babyblueyes24
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM

You shouldnt have to worry about your milk drying up. When I had my kids it took about a week for my milk to let down and not feel so engourged all the time. You might try pumping. That will get the extra out. I know the more I pumped and nursed the more I produced. Which I already produce a ton of milk. Good luck!

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Try to hand express a little for comfort. I don't think you will dry up:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:53 AM

1. No.

2. No. 

**smile** All normal. The ONLY sign of drying up is a lack of dipes. Six changes today. Tomorrow, the expected count is 6-8 per day. As long as you get those you are NOT drying up. 

07lilmama1108
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:52 AM
No drying up! :) i called them my "playboy" boobies because they were so huge!! I never pumped, just nursed. It's supply and demand, about 3-5 months they'll stop over producing. The engorgement lasted 2-3 weeks for me but at 2 weeks i didn't hurt anymore. I had ds in me almost 24/7 to keep up with his demand. Congrats on baby and you're doing great!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gailll
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:52 AM

The baby just nurses what they can, the message is sent to the brain to make that much, and the breasts are supposed to figure out to make that much or more. In 95-98% of women they can nurse with no significant problems. At around 6 weeks your baby will need more milk (growth spurt) and most women notice a difference in the feeling in the breasts and worry they don't have milk. That's normal. They just have gotten more efficient.

You don't need nursing bras. You can wear sport bras, any bra, or no bra. I had problems wearing bras while nursing and would just keep a recieving blanket or small towel near for if I started leaking. I would just wear bras if I went out. If you do a google search you can find instructions for turning regular bras into nursing bras and for making nursing pads. I would sleep on a towel because I leaked so much at night.

battisarah
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:57 AM
The ladies before me answered all your questions. I just want to say congrats on your decision to breastfeed, stick with it, you will never regret it! Also, this message board is the best resource you will be able to find when it comes to the facts about breastfeeding, support, encouragement, and just pretty much anything you could ever need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)