Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I thought it was just breastfeeding folklore...

Posted by   + Show Post
...and then it happened to me.

A doctor today told me I needed to start giving my 15 month old cows milk, because breastmilk doesn't provide enough hydration or nutrition after a year.

*headdesk*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Replies (21-30):
lilydoyle
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I've always gone to my current pedi, because they keep up on the current facts. They are pro bf, and encourage their parents to do so as long as possible. They also encourage natural remedies brfore using medication (green veggies to get iron, that sort of thing). Any mom I talk to, I gladly hand out my knowledge on bfing, because not enough dr's let prego mom's know the facts.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM
5 moms liked this
I'm constantly amazed that people think the breastmilk of another animal is somehow better than human breastmilk. Especially once you factor in the filthy living conditions, hormones & antibiotics given, and processing the cow breastmilk goes through (assuming you buy the stuff from the store)
And this person is a DOCTOR! So much for doctors being smart & logical, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Why are they so concerned? Makes no sense. Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiralyn
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I took him in for strong smelling urine. It was obvious he isn't dehydrated. The doctor actually said "look at all that drool, he's definitely hydrated!" Then when she went to speak to her attending, and told him/her that I don't give cows milk or juice, all of a sudden he must be dehydrated, even though his output is fine. Memory is getting fuzzy on the words she used, but something like "He doesn't drink as much as he did at 6 months old, you have no way to know if you're making enough." She suggested that my supply is low, and that I should use cows milk but still nurse. I was just seething, lol. I asked if she even knew how breastfeeding works, supply and demand ya know. That's when the "you don't make enough after a year," comments started. It was a mess. I had to just say I was done discussing it because we were not going to agree. 

Quoting annaica:

Why are they so concerned? Makes no sense. Ugh

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

lisafamily
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

pbbbt! Sometimes Dr's have no clue! I know the last two times my hubby has had to take my son in for his 18 mos and 24 mos checkups and they give him the "is your wife STILL breastfeeding your son and allowing him to sleep in bed with you" "she really should wean him so he doesn't depend on her so much" REALLY!?!

CafeMom Tickers
kiralyn
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Yikes!! I seriously HATE when doctors give parenting advice. I'm not there for you to tell me how to raise my kids, just make sure his heart is beating good, he's growing well, his lungs sound good and let us go!

Quoting lisafamily:

pbbbt! Sometimes Dr's have no clue! I know the last two times my hubby has had to take my son in for his 18 mos and 24 mos checkups and they give him the "is your wife STILL breastfeeding your son and allowing him to sleep in bed with you" "she really should wean him so he doesn't depend on her so much" REALLY!?!

Kelseyciarah
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, yeah I remember when I was exposed to doctor stupidity when it comes to breastfeeding!

Ever since then, I find it completely difficult to put faith in any pediatrician.

Hence, why I do my OWN research before following any doctor's orders.

Good for you for knowing better! :)

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

Happily married Mama to one angelbaby, a son born 10-19-10, and a daughter born 3-20-12

illegallyblonde
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Ditto!

We've already decided we'll tell people he's lactose intolerant. That's ok, being vegan is not. *smh*

Quoting luna321:

My son has his 18 month check up today....I'm curious if I will get a comment like this, we are vegan too so no cow milk in the house ever! Don't doctors know we are people not cows!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so greatful that my sixteen month old's pediatrician is so awesome. Not once did he suggest supplementing, or stopping breastfeeding. He always told me, at each checkup, she was healthy and was in high percentiles. Even as she aged, he not once judged me about extended breastfeeding. He was very supportive.

I am sorry some of you mom's have doctors that do that to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN