Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**Need Advice** low weight EBF 9wk old.....Long

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
  • 23 Replies

My dd is now 9wks and she has only gained 1lb 1.5oz since birth. She teetered right around her birth weight of 8.2 since she was 2wks old. Her pediatrician has been concerned since at her 2 month appt yesterday she is only 6% for weight and 7% length. She nurses whenever she wants which is usually every 2 hours. I let her eat until she unlatches then switch her to the other side and let her finish. She sleeps right next to our bed and nurses whenever she wakes up at night. She has 8-10 good wet diapers a day, bm every 3rd day usually. She is healthy and happy! Right on target (maybe a tad ahead) with development. She also takes vitamin d supplement drops.

I eat pretty well (but maybe not enough calories??) I take my vitamins and ha and do not diet. Both my husband and I are thin people. After I have lost all of my weight after each pregnancy I weigh about 124 and my husband is right around 145. All of our other babies were lil chubby things (his two with his ex-wife were formula fed and my other two were ebf successfully til 18months or so).

My pediatrician seems to think my milk may not be nutritional enough? Never heard of such a thing I guess. He also says that genetics play a role in the babies size but she needs to be gaining a lil more.

Is there something I can do? A reason why she is so tiny or not gaining much, even with growth spurts? Can I take extra vitamins or calories? What about vitamins for her? Can I have my milk analyzed?

Sorry this is so long! I am just a tad concerned

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Machelle669
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM
bump

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

what was her lowest weight?

I would not look at percentiles at all, just diapers and weight gain.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

and, I would not give vitamins for her. I think I had an article somewhere about that, breastmilk has all she needs. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins/

mamabens
by Miranda on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

What are her weights, birth weight, lowest, etc. Has she been checked for tongue tie/lip tie? Do you have overactive supply or overactive let down? Baby sounds fine but 1 lb in 2 months is low.  Dr is wrong about your milk not having enough calories, that's just silly. Diapers look great!  I agree percentiles are  something I do not pay attention to, is dr using the WHO bfing chart or the one for FF babies?

tsmcconnell
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Quoting Precious333:

what was her lowest weight?

I would not look at percentiles at all, just diapers and weight gain.

As far as I know, her lowest weight was 7lbs 10oz when we left the hospital.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM
The only thing I would do differently is only offer one side per feeding to make sure she gets more of the fatty hindmilk on that side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilydoyle
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

As long as she is doing fine developementally, having plenty of wet diapers (which I see she is), then I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, out of curiosity, have you, dh, or baby been tested for dwarf syndrom? It's not dangerous, but it may account for the low weight gain. And yes, stop the vitamin drops. Oh, one last q: how much has she grown since birth?

I'm the mom of 4 short people, without a schedule, spanks as a last resort, time-out lover,  positive dicipline user, independant pushing, starts cooking at 4 years, front facing at 1 & 20 lbs, corrects your child if you won't, kid centered, adult scorning kind of mom. I'll parent my children as I see fit, and you better believe wherever I am, mine are better behaved than most.  See something you like or agree with? Hit me up!  I'd love to talk, will help if I can, not afraid to ask for help if I need it,  and I've learned quite a bit over the years. My kids are ages 7 1/2, 6, 4, and 3.  Let's talk!!!

tsmcconnell
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Birth she was 8.2, leaving the hospital she was 7.10, at 2wks she was 8.2 again, 3 days later she was 8.1 then 8 at 3wks. 2 weeks ago she was 8.9 I think ands yesterday 9 lbs 3.5oz

She was born at 19.5 in and is now 21.75in (nurse also said many babies dont stretch out well for a birth measurment)

We have never been tested for dwarf syndrom (what is it?)

Oh, and she is gassy! She also has silent reflux.

Quoting lilydoyle:

As long as she is doing fine developementally, having plenty of wet diapers (which I see she is), then I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, out of curiosity, have you, dh, or baby been tested for dwarf syndrom? It's not dangerous, but it may account for the low weight gain. And yes, stop the vitamin drops. Oh, one last q: how much has she grown since birth?

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

that sounds pretty good to me. You may want to keep her at one side for a feeding so she does get more hind milk and that may help with the reflux.

Quoting tsmcconnell:

Birth she was 8.2, leaving the hospital she was 7.10, at 2wks she was 8.2 again, 3 days later she was 8.1 then 8 at 3wks. 2 weeks ago she was 8.9 I think ands yesterday 9 lbs 3.5oz

She was born at 19.5 in and is now 21.75in (nurse also said many babies dont stretch out well for a birth measurment)

We have never been tested for dwarf syndrom (what is it?)

Oh, and she is gassy! She also has silent reflux.

Quoting lilydoyle:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
lilydoyle
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Dwarf syndrome:

• There are two types of dwarfism. Disproportionate dwarfism, also called skeletal dysplasia, occurs when the patient has some small body parts and some regular-sized body parts. Most commonly, the arms and legs will be small, while the head and trunk tend to be the same size as others in their age group. Proportionate dwarfism occurs when all parts of the body are simply small.

Hormonal Dwarfism

• On standard pediatric growth charts, a height below the fifth percentile can indicate dwarfism. Generally, this is caused by a deficiency in human growth hormone. HGH tells the body when to grow and how much to grow. Lack of HGH is the cause of most cases of proportionate dwarfism.

Early Symptoms of Turner Syndrome

• Excess skin at the neck of a newborn combined with puffy hands and feet during infancy are the earliest symptoms of Turner Syndrome, a disorder that results in short stature.

Early Symptoms of Skeletal Dysplasia

• Clubfoot--twisted or misshapen fee--can be an early sign of disproportionate dwarfism. As part of the newborn examination, and during the first year well-baby checks, doctors will be looking for disorders such as this, as well as hip deformities that can hinder proper growth.

Potential

• Dwarfism doesn't often affect a child's cognitive abilities; there are only a few dwarfism-related conditions that would affect a child's ability to mature into adulthood and care for himself, albeit with physical challenges and adaptations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)