Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

dh is doing me a favor.... (vent)

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 25 Replies
By "letting" me and ds breastfeed until 9 months now instead if 6.... what he doesn't know yet: ds WILL self wean but only after a year. I've shown him webpages stating bfing longer is beneficial but he wants an "accredited" source that's American..... the WHO isn't one he agrees with (which seems so dumb to me because we use their growth chart lol). He says i don't know how happy he is when he gets a bottle and I'm like i don't need to know because i see how relaxed and relieved he is when he snuggles in to nurse. Besides, i don't want bottles because he's starting solids soon, he can use a sippy instead!
Basically dh thinks he knows everything and he doesn't understand the problems with what he expects... like a birthday cake for ds's 6 month bday which he hasn't started solids yet! Btw, he says if i don't then he'll give it to ds when I'm at work. I'm getting very upset but the more upset i get the more he laughs and continues with other things he could do to upset me. He says I'm only looking at one side if the argument... like it's normal to give cake and ice cream to a baby! MIL gave dd ice cream at 9 months!!! I'm thinking i should find a sitter....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SAHM927
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this
That sucks to not have a supportive husband. I told DH I would nurse until DD is ready to stop. He at least says up to 3 years, and after that he would prefer I didn't. Your DH shouldn't "let" you do anything. It is your choice, and I believe the AAP also says babies who are BFed longer than a year will benefit too!
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
wow...is he controlling or just trying to be as involved as he can be? I would flat out tell my DH...sorry but no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catrig
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Is he like this about other things?

07lilmama1108
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Who knows! I think he's trying to take control here; the whole "Time" issue bothered him. But now i have to find people on my side that he knows yet he still doesn't agree with them (his moms best friend bf for 3 years!)... either way, it's ds's choice!!

Quoting Precious333:

wow...is he controlling or just trying to be as involved as he can be? I would flat out tell my DH...sorry but no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marynash88
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this
He just sounds dumb. The aap states that babies should be exclusively breastfed for 6 months and breastfed for a minimum of a year or more as mom and baby desire. Last I checked, the aap's title includes American and it sure is accredited.
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

In regards to the cake and ice cream...once DD1 had started solids (around 7 months), I didn't mind her having a TASTE of mine if we were at a birthday party or something. But to give them their own serving of sweets is completely unnessecary.

I think maybe your DH is being a bit controlling over the situation and needs to calm down. Do you think there's a way he would be willing to compromise something? It seems no matter how much literature you show him, he won't budge, but he needs to understand you're BOTH parents and BOTH parents should make decisions TOGETHER.

nellyb118
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Dh tried to pull that ish with me. He was pushing me to wean(by 6 mo) but refusing to research the benefits and etc.
I told him it's my boobs and since I DID research that I will make the educated decision to continue as long as I damn well please.
He's on board now and suprisingly supportive.
His family isn't very bf friendly so I think some of his negativeness came from that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Since when is 6 months of age a birthday? 

mama02040608
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM
7 moms liked this
As sad as it sounds, I would find a sitter. I would also flat out tell him that as long as they're your boobs, YOU get to decide how long they're used for. I know some will say "Oh, he's the dad, he should get a say"...he does if he's not being a dumbass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJill87
by Jill on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM
6 moms liked this
Wow! If my Dh ever tried to talk/act like this to me there would be a lot of unhappiness around here and possible separation till his head could be removed from his ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)