Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I love my mom to death but....

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

I haven't gotten much sleep in the past 7 weeks because Jordyn wakes up every hour and a half to two hours to eat.  I was talking to my mom tonight who made the comment that she was worried because I look so tired and knows keeping up with 4 kids is a lot.  She suggested to me that I give Jordyn 4oz of formula so I could get some sleep tonight since there is no way to guge how much breast milk she is getting when she nurses.  I of course told her I loved her, but I just cannot find it in me to undo what we have been working so hard to do just to get more than  hours of sleep.  I told her in time it will get better, but right now we are still working on getting her off the formula or at least on the smalest amount of it possible. I know she worries, but still.

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KenzieQsMommy
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Aw that'd sweet your mom worries like that, at least. Keep it up mama you're doing great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM
3 moms liked this
Tell mom that waking up is baby's natural defense against SIDS, 4oz is overfeeding for a breastfed baby, and the amount of diapers baby is having is how you determine how much baby is getting. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I hear ya! She meant well. My mom, regardless of my motivation and determination to breastfeed DS1, still bought me formula or mailed me coupons. Because she didnt breastfeed us ( she said she wasnt educated about it, but I think she was just too lazy knowing her) and she assumed I couldnt/wouldnt want to.

CafeMom Tickers
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
^^ that (what Ava's Mommy said)

Plus many times this strategy backfires and baby wakes up more from the resulting tummy ache.

Do you co sleep? It's really a great way to get your sleep while baby nurses all night. And if you do it a certain way it doesn't mean you will still have a kid in bed with you when they're a toddler +
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robbiesmommy99
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I have her in a cradle next to me right now.  I will co sleep sometimes in the early morning, but can't at night since our 2 year old still wakes up at night and she is currently still sleeping in our room and I have to be able to tend to her.  And if I am not in bed with the baby, dh is likely to roll over on her as deep as he sleeps.  I nap when I can when both girls are asleep, or my oldest dd will help keep an eye on Jordym while I catch a 30 minute nap or something.

I just told dh what my mom said and he was like, "um, no, we are not going to undo everything we have been working for"  He has truly been my biggest supporter and rock through all of this.  :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM

HUGS momma

JamieLyn822
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Every time my first baby made a peep my mom would insist she was hungry and try to get me to give her a bottle. And my aunt too. It was so discouraging as a first time mom and had me constantly second guessing myself. Looking back now I know I supplemented a lot more than I probably needed to. But this is my second child and now that I know better, I do better. My whole family formula fed so its hard to get advice from them because that's all they know. Anyway, I can relate to the frustration.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM
My mom formula fed and I am worried about this. Especially because she is taking a week off work and plans to be over a lot. I've been talking to her and educating her already ( I'm 29 weeks). And she is coming to a breast feeding class with me. I hope it helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
What a great idea, taking your mom to the class. Hopefully she becomes one of your biggest supporters!

Quoting eagerforbaby:

My mom formula fed and I am worried about this. Especially because she is taking a week off work and plans to be over a lot. I've been talking to her and educating her already ( I'm 29 weeks). And she is coming to a breast feeding class with me. I hope it helps.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN