Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Possible mono

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
  • 18 Replies
Can it be spread through nursing? I don't seem to have a fever but severe sore throat, earaches, body aches. Hot flashes when Tylenol kicks in, freezing when it wears off. I know I'm supposed to nurse through illness but mono is passed through saliva and what not. He isn't sick and neither is DD but DH has the same symptoms as me and we are in a tiny hotel. Family doesn't get here for two more weeks. This could be miserable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Well mono is highly contagious and your baby has already been exposed if you do have it. Nursing will give baby your antibodies to help him fight it off/not get it. Stopping nursing would put him at much greater risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Ok...he has been trying to nurse more lately too.

Quoting larissalarie:

Well mono is highly contagious and you're baby has already been exposed if you do have it. Nursing will give baby your antibodies to help him fight it off/not get it. Stopping nursing would put him at much greater risk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:59 AM

My baby must be the only one on the planet who breastfeeds exclusively and still manages to catch everything I get.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Not at all. the only baby on the planet. The good news is that they will generally get a milder case of whatever it is than they would have otherwise.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Nope, not at all.
But you can rest assured that your baby would be even more ill if you formula fed.

Quoting parentalrights1:

My baby must be the only one on the planet who breastfeeds exclusively and still manages to catch everything I get.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvinmom
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I had mono when second was born, husband was gone and not help when he was there. Doctor said keep breastfeeding drink lots of water and sleep. All 3 of us would climb in bed and nap everyday, it worked! If baby and I went to nap I would have daughter in room but make sure nothing dangerous was around or could hurt her and fall asleep. she always just played and let us sleep. I think her angels were helping her to help me. Good Luck.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

The good news?  Even if he does get it, mono in toddlers is not as big of a deal as it is for adults.  Andy had it at 15 mos and it was just 10 days of fevers and lack of appetite.  He lost a good bit of weight, but regained it as soon as he was better.  He wasn't bf at the time, so your little guy will probably do even better than that if he even gets it at all.

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM
He doesn't eat a lot already. He is like a pp child, he has had more colds and ear infections then you can imagine. Dr just said bfing has kept him out of the hospital. We can't even get checked till Monday at an income based clinic. Tylenol and ibuprofen do a good job though until they ware off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM
If you think you have mono you need bloodwork. You need to make sure your spleen is not to enlarged. Mono normally wipes an adult out. What you described can be symptoms of it but the big one is sleeping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Hey when I had mono I had green flem. And my throat was enflamed on one side...just in case u have those symptoms...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN