Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

selfweaning/period

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hi, my baby is 7 month and has been self weaned for a few weeks, still nursing at night, and cutting out pumping during the day - since I have a 4 yr old, this has become very hard.   Wanted to know when can I expect my period to return? If I still nurse at night, maybe 2 times, when can I expect it to come back?

Thanks,

Lauren

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Baby hasn't self-weaned, they won't do that this early unless they've got something to wean TO.   If you wanted to get nursing back on track it's 100% possible.

As for the period... it generally comes back when nursing decreases, but that's not true for everyone.   You could see it next month, or not until you've fully weaned baby.   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
mollysmom328
by Stephanie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Yep, weaning due to bottles, pregnancy, solids, etc is NOT self-weaning.  I 100% agree with all this.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Baby hasn't self-weaned, they won't do that this early unless they've got something to wean TO.   If you wanted to get nursing back on track it's 100% possible.

As for the period... it generally comes back when nursing decreases, but that's not true for everyone.   You could see it next month, or not until you've fully weaned baby.   

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Even one nursing can mean no period for years...but other moms get period when babies are fully ebf newborns. Just depends on your body.

Are you trying to wean? Because seven month olds dont self wean. Since shes not nursing much you are giving formula yes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

^^what everyone else said.

my dd is nursing just as frequently as always but I got my period back at 12.5 months pp (she's almost 14 mo)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM
This.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Even one nursing can mean no period for years...but other moms get period when babies are fully ebf newborns. Just depends on your body.

Are you trying to wean? Because seven month olds dont self wean. Since shes not nursing much you are giving formula yes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this
7 month old babies don't self wean. They might wean to bottles, sippies, or solids if you let those become an option, but that isn't self weaning. (much like a 3 week old who develops a bottle preference hasn't "self weaned")

Every woman is different. You might get your periods back now but you could not get it back until a few months after you've 100%.weaned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauryn88
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Jeez, ok - maybe self weaned was not a great choice of words, but my son has not gone on the breast during the day for almost one month...I have a very abundant milk supply - so low supply not an issue.

I think he is distracted.....pulls off cries etc......

nurse at night, pump at day.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Ok, so it is distracted baby, nursing strike, bottle flow preference, etc. If you want to get him nursing during the day again, we can help. You said that you're decreasing pumping. Are you still giving milk as the primary source of nutrition? It should be until the first birthday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:49 AM
2 moms liked this
The reason we harp on the self weaning is because we don't like the term used improperly because many women will think their baby is weaning themselves when it is a nursing strike which CAN be resolved. We're not trying to be mean. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauryn88
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I know your not, and I really am so grateful to have this as a go to for questions.

I am super frustrated with my day trying to get him back on the breast and running after a very active four year old and having to stop to pump 3 - 4 times a day is so hard.....I am doing my best...as you all are I am sure of it...so thanks for all the advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)