Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Clamping down when nursing?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
I don't know if it happens to everyone or my little guy is clamping down on my nipple while he's nursing.....
But when he unlatches, my nipple looks so odd. Its as if he's flattened it a tiny bit. And there is this raised ridge going from one side of my nipple and up over to the other side. Hard to explain, lol.

I thought it was causing me pain at first, but then realized I didn't treat the thrush on myself well enough. So we are having fun with that! And now I don't know if he is clamping down and causing me pain or not! I guess I will see after the thrush is gone!

So, does anyone elses nipple look strange after nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
RadnRem
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Oh, and he is 6 weeks old. And I do have OAL, which might be a reason he's a little rough with me, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

With his behavior, that's not at all unusual. Are you using laid back nursing to control the overactive letdown?

RadnRem
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Yes, most of the time I am.  Sometimes in the middle of the night I have him nurse laying side by side with me though.  It seems to help with the OAL, but he tends to spitup a little more that way. So I only do it if I'm insanely tired.

Quoting gdiamante:

With his behavior, that's not at all unusual. Are you using laid back nursing to control the overactive letdown?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM
That is one of the suggested positions for dealing with OAL. The clamping is common with OAL because the baby is trying to slow the flow. Are you doing block feeding as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadnRem
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM
I remember reading that babies would clamp down with OAL, I just wasn't sure if that's why my nipples come out looking so....tormented, lol. Or if it happens just from nursing in general.
I am block feeding, just not terribly strict about the time frame. Say he nurses on the right side and gets hungry again in 1-2 hours, I will offer the right side again usually. But sometimes, if that side is sore from him clamping down/pulling/thrush issues....I may just go ahead and offer the left side instead.

Quoting aehanrahan:

That is one of the suggested positions for dealing with OAL. The clamping is common with OAL because the baby is trying to slow the flow. Are you doing block feeding as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadnRem
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM
On a side note, earlier today while I was nursing and pumping at the same time, I was sitting up a little to adjust the pump. And I look down at him because he unlatched and the poor baby! I had about 4-5 streams of milk shooting out all over the place!
He just kind of looked at me like "what the....?!". I couldn't help but laugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN