Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I Wrong?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this
As I am getting ready for baby, I am not bringing any bottles or formula home. I want to bf and I think it will be easier to not have that temptation. I don't plan on introducing bottles until 6 weeks or later.
However, everyone keeps telling me I need a few bottles and a little formula on hand just in case.

Am I wrong for not wanting to have any of that in the house at first? Of there were to be any type of problem, my dh or mom could go pick some up and have it to me within an hour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JADIEBUG
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM
3 moms liked this

No you are not wrong. It is way too tempting when the "easy" option is in the house for breastfeeding to fail.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
3 moms liked this

You can always run to the store and get bottles and formula IF you need it.  They are readily available at drug stores, grocery stores and baby stores.  Not a big deal.  

Elayna90
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
That is how I feel about it. When there are tough times, I do think if I have formula around, I might just be like "it'll be so much easier this one time" and then one time may turn into more times...

Quoting JADIEBUG:

No you are not wrong. It is way too tempting when the "easy" option is in the house for breastfeeding to fail.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elayna90
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Yep and I have two convenience stores and two grocery stores within a mile of my house.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You can always run to the store and get bottles and formula IF you need it.  They are readily available at drug stores, grocery stores and baby stores.  Not a big deal.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bmommyof2
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM
3 moms liked this
Actually it is recommended that new mothers trying to bf DON'T have formula or bottles around them. You WILL hit walls while bfing, they can be gone over, and around! But if you're having a hard time bfing you may just lean towards the formula rather than jumping hurdles!! And trust me, there will be hurdles lol but with a good support system and GOOD\CORRECT info(NOT from pedi) you will be fine :))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myerslisa2
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think your wrong at all.

In my personal expireance breastfeeding is hard the first couple of weeks. Even with my 3rd baby I had cracked nipples with what looked like a blood blister from improper latch!

If we would have had bottles or formula I am positive that one of my family members would have fed the baby just so I could have slept and been able to heal. But since I didn't even look at formula as an option none was brought into the house.

Now that she's 6 weeks I bought a bottle and have milk in the freezer. She will sometimes get a bottle from her sister when I'm in the middle of cooking dinner.

Good luck momma <3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this
You're right! They're the ones that are wrong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daymommy
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 4:26 PM

It's your baby, not everyone else's, if you don't want that stuff then don't get it. 

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I was wondering the same thing myself. Im registering for a few bottles but dont plan on having them around. All of my family keep telling me that I am going to need them on hand immediately in case I cant breast feed. I just feel like Im getting pushed into bottle feeding instead, I dont feel like I need them until at least a month later.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this
I did have bottles, but not formula.

My DD was born early & had bottles in the NICU.

I offered the breast, then pumped & bottlefed for weeks. It took 6 weeks to get her to exclusively BF, but we did it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)