Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

To cover or not to cover ...?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM
  • 36 Replies

I'm pregnant with my first and will be exclusively breastfeeding. I'm a bit more modest and thought i'd like to use a cover. But I don't know what the pros and cons are. ... I was reading one of the other posts about covering (or rather, not covering) and thought you ladies could give me some ideas.

What are the pros and cons of using a cover?

What are the pros and cons of not using a cover?

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM
I cover I personally don't care but it makes my husband more comfortable and I don't want other people feeling uncomfortable either.

** I wanted to add I only cover when we are out of my ss is here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsbrand
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Pros of a cover is you ate totally covered and they have some cute ones. Cons are they are cumbersome, and attract lots of attention and get warm easily. Pros of uncovered is layering makes it easy to be modest, its comfortable, one less thing to pack, baby doesn't usually fight the top shirt. Cons are you can occasionally slip and if baby is a distracted nurser they can be a pain to keep latched.
A lot of it is going to be practicing both and finding what YOU are comfortable with, not anyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avetay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM
I personally don't use a cover. It's 90+ here right now and dd and I are too hot. I either wear nursing tanks/shirts, a tank under a tshirt, or a v-neck shirt that I can easily pull down.
I always felt like using a cover (I tried with my first) drew more attention to you than needed. Plus neither of my kids like a cover. The only time I do is when I'm out to eat with my sisters because they flip out and I use a small blanket. Personally I feel like it brings more attention but if your more comfortable with it go for it!!!
Happy nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asmalltowngirl
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM
i can't think of any pros honestly. The cons are that the cover makes me feel more awkward. It draws a lot of attention. It is also very hot for baby and me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elayna90
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I am planning to cover but not use an actual cover. I'll use dohble layer shirts or light blankets or a sling I have. I think I am too shy and modest to nurse outside my home without a cover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheram
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM
This about sums it up. I'd like to add that I don't cover or layer. Layering is too hot for me. I've found if I position myself correctly I can cover my tummy with the baby and my unsightly back fat with chair. The con to this is when I can't find a place to sit with a back on it.

Quoting mrsbrand:

Pros of a cover is you ate totally covered and they have some cute ones. Cons are they are cumbersome, and attract lots of attention and get warm easily. Pros of uncovered is layering makes it easy to be modest, its comfortable, one less thing to pack, baby doesn't usually fight the top shirt. Cons are you can occasionally slip and if baby is a distracted nurser they can be a pain to keep latched.

A lot of it is going to be practicing both and finding what YOU are comfortable with, not anyone else.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I know that the ONLy time I ever tried to cover, people stared. When I lost the cover, no one noticed me. To me, a cover is like hanging a giant neon sign reading

TRY TO SEE THIS WOMAN'S BREAST!!!!

Not really what most women are trying to accomplish!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM
I absolutely hated nursing in public and avoided it completely with my first 2 (bottles or delaying) because I used a beacon, I mean cover... With my 3rd I learned about discreetly nursing without a cover and am ok with NIP finally! I will never love/like it (huge boobs I hate), but without a cover is FAR less embarrassing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mothernature
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM

i avoid nursing in public but nursing with a cover only worked for a few months, after maybe 3 mnths they start pulling and fussing with a cover, my sister inlaw used there baby blanket and got them addicted to holding it while nursing so they naturally covered themselves while nursing as they got older .

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM
yep....and I think its trial and error. there are many different nursing covers, some people use recieving blankets, some layer with shirts, some use the end of the sling, and some dont use anything additional to cover. you can practice with all of these and see what makes you and baby most comfortable.

Quoting mrsbrand:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN