Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Toddler breastfeeding regression?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:05 AM
  • 5 Replies

My son is 20 months old, he self weaned at 12 months(Yes he SELF weaned, I was 5 months pregnant when he finally had his last taste of BM, guess he didnt like my new milk).

Anywho, I have a newborn daughter, and lately when I nurse her I have kept my bra/shirt off because its been hot..

Well my son comes up to me and is very interested in my breasts, and has even put his mouth on them but did not suck... He'll even squeeze them to see the milk squirt out lol.

Should I discourage this? I kind of miss breastfeeding him, but Idk, since he has weaned I don't want to INVITE him back....Idk if that makes sense lol

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

Happily married Mama to one angelbaby, a son born 10-19-10, and a daughter born 3-20-12

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:10 AM

No wrong answers here. If you want to let him try, do so... it's very normal and expected. If you don't want him to, don't let him. That's fine too. Mom's choice.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM
It's completely up to you. Many moms here nurse a new baby along with a toddler. It's quite common for the older baby to stop nursing as supply dips and turns to colostrum, and then get an invigorated interest in nursing again when the new baby is born and the milk returns. My dd is 34 months and nursing (though once or twice a day) so nursing a 20 month old sounds way normal to me. Many moms find that the nursing toddler is more accepting of the new baby than the toddler who views "their milk" as something that the new baby took from them. Congrats on the new baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM
"Self" weaning and weaning due to pregnancy ARE different....
That said, if you are comfortable letting him try it out, go for it, if not don't. He's likely just curious, like any baby and it will pass, but it won't hurt anything if he does take to it. The natural age of weaning is still far off from his age :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:36 AM
Lol I like how you emphasized SELF weaning. Cause we all know where that could end. ;) If you don't want to encourage him to begin BF again maybe give him some expressed milk. It is essentially up to you and whether or not he would be capable of latching again. So it is up to the two of you honestly. If it were me I would at least try and see how things go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyBabiesx101
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I would discourage it just because it sounds like he is only playing with them and you don't want him learning that its ok to just squeeze and play with breasts at such a young age. You want him to learn that they are for feeding the babies and not to be squeezed or played with. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)