Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Another smile and nod dr apt

Posted by   + Show Post
Yesterday my dd turned 1 and she has her well baby check up today. I am still nursing her day and night. She told me to stop nursing her at night because it will cause cavities. She said babies over 3 months don't need to eat at night. We also co-sleep since its easier to nurse her at night. She wanted to know if her dad was around and how, without actually saying it, we had sex. I told her there are other ways and places besides at night in bed.

She is on the small side so she was thinking that she was going to be failure to thrive, but since me and her dad are both short and small, that she is OK. Her percentages went from 75% down to 35%. (I know percentages mean nothing.) She has good diaper counts, is starting to walk and talk and is meeting milestones. Definitely not signs of failure to thrive.

Here are her stats:
Birth 9 lbs 5 oz 21.25"
6 days- 8 lbs 12 oz 20" (her length was obviously done wrong somewhere)
Month 1- 10 lbs 6 oz 21.25"
Month 2- 11 lbs 7 oz 22.75"
Month 4- 14 lbs. 24.75"
Month 6- 16 lbs 1 oz. 26"
Month 9- 18 lbs 3 oz. 27"
Month 12- 20 lbs 1 oz. 28.75"

I had GD when pregnant and she had blood sugar issues at birth and was in there for 5 days. I had at least 2 bags of fluids plus some antibiotics during labor. She had some formula while in the nicu, but after we came home she didn't have more. She was ebf until around 5.5 months. She eats everything we do, but she's just naturally small.

I like the drs in there overall. Sometimes I just smile and nod my head.
CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Replies (11-13):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting MamaDee83:

Some doctors have blinders on with these damn graphs that they go by. It makes me crazy!

I was starting to get a little worried since my two older kids were so much bigger than she is at the same age. My ods was in the 95% until he was 3. My yds was 50-75%. Through this group I have learned that she is OK and that to look at her milestones and diaper count to make sure she is growing.
CafeMom Tickers
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Quoting Gruntlings:

Has she been checked for a tongue tie? My son was making plenty of wets but had bad gain because of a tongue tie. Getting it clipped helped a lot.

It's sort of odd that the baby has "low weight" but the pediatrician is pushing to cut out night feeds. The information about breastmilk and cavities is related to bottle feeds, not feeds from the breast.

No she doesn't have a tongue tie. My ods had one and my dd can stick her tongue out pretty far. My dh says she looks like Gene Simmons from KISS. lol
She may have a lip tie though.

I know a lot of teeth health is hereditary. I have good teeth, and my dh has OK teeth too. I didn't get my first cavity until after I had my first kid at 19!
CafeMom Tickers
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:06 PM
3 moms liked this

I probably would have told the doc, "We don't. My husband lost his penis in a motorcycle accident. Thank you for reminding me of that tragedy."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN