Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

why is dd not gaining weight *mini update*

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 57 Replies
Briana is 9#3.7oz still. Its less then what she weighed at 2 months. Her pedi's nurse called said she is giving her one more week and if she doesn't gain any weight then they want to do blood work and switch her to formula completely. She nurses so much better then taking bottles she doesn't seem to care for! them. It takes her 20 minutes to eat 3oz of formula from a bottle. She never acts hungry. She isn't gaining at all though. I feel defeated completely. I have tried breastfeeding 3 babies and every time this has happened. They gained steadily till around 3 months and stopped. I've tried everything I can think of to get more milk cut dairy out added more pumping taking supplements. Nothing works. Why can't my body make good quality milk for my babies? I guess this is good bye. She was our last baby and I have failed at every attempt to breastfeed. I have begged for the tests she wont do them. She said next week they will do blood work but will say timeout switch to formula at the same time. I asked about tongue tie and they said she was fine. I don't know if cleft palate in the family can be a sign of also having high palate or tongue tie but my brother is severely cleft palate. I think I'm gonna call this pediatrician in a town close by and see about a second opinion and see if they will do testing. I like my dd's pedi for everything else but she is so clueless to what to do here except to press formula. We do use an sns now instead of bottles. I was only supplementing an ounce at every other feeding but increased to 2oz every feeding per pedi request today.

For those that don't know the background :
Birth weight 6#14oz
Lowest recorded weight 6#3oz
1wk 6#6oz
2wk 7# even
1month 8#3oz
2months 9#8oz
Between two month check and 3 months she caught rsv
4month 9#12oz
2weeks later 9#6oz
2wk later 9#4oz
1wk later 9#3oz
1wk later yesterday 9#3oz
She is 5 months
now.

*mini update*
we have an appointment 9am tomorrow for another doctor to look at her. She also breastfed her own children so hopefully she will listen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WFG2012
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM
what is her weight history? birth weight? lowest weight? 2 months? has she been sick recently? how are her diapers? are you supplementing with formula? how much and how often? if she is losing then further testing needs to be done to rule out a health issue, formula feeding to fatten her up will only mask a deeper issue or not work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM
I agree w pp.

Also, you will see this happen, or so I have heard, in babies where the mom has overactive letdown. The mom's supply regulates and baby's weight stalls.
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Oal and a tongue tie or something else that doesn't allow the baby to pull as much milk as they need
IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM
BUMP!

LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM
4 moms liked this
Tongue tie has been ruled out? Along with a second opinion? If she's satisfied and diapers are good, then it is a baby issue and NOT NOT NOT an issue with your milk. I would not switch to all formula, I WOULD demand testing for metabolic problems as well as genetic ones. But first, thoroughly rule out tongue tie and/or high palate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM
This!!

Quoting mama02040608:

Tongue tie has been ruled out? Along with a second opinion? If she's satisfied and diapers are good, then it is a baby issue and NOT NOT NOT an issue with your milk. I would not switch to all formula, I WOULD demand testing for metabolic problems as well as genetic ones. But first, thoroughly rule out tongue tie and/or high palate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Get her checked for tongue tie by somebody experienced with tongue tie! Not all docs know what they are looking for but any reduced movement of the tongue can affect milk transfer. And guess what? It runs in families, both my kids had a posterior tongue tie. Nobody recognized it with my first. Google "kotlow tongue tie" and visit his website!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I'm thinking tongue tie with how long to take a bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Has she been evaluated for a tongue tie? My son's weight tanked at 3 months because of a tongue tie.

Do you feed on demand or do you schedule feed?

Any pacifiers?

Do you pump or give bottles often?

Are you on any medication?

Do you have any breast or hormonal issues? ie: PCOS, thyroid problems?

Do you consume sage or peppermint on a regular basis?

How do they weigh her?

What have her weights been so far?

Is it always on the same scale?

Are you supplementing? If you're supplementing and baby's allergic to dairy baby's going to have serious gain issues because of the supplementation.

Are you on birth control?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN