Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Losing Weight...and supply.

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • 24 Replies
Everytime I work to lose weight my supply drops. I'm eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and working out... I've been working on weight loss for the past two weeks and now my supply is suffering. I tried losing weight once before and had the same issue so I stopped trying. My son is 8 months, I really want to reach 1 year.

What do I do?! Fenugreek helped once, but I hate smelling like syrup all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM
bump

asaffell
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM

How much are you eating?

slransde
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM
5 or 6 meals a day, around 400 calories each.

Quoting asaffell:

How much are you eating?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Ok, what kind of exercise?

And what indication do you have that supply is dropping?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM

What's you're indication of a supply drop? Keep in mind the breasts are mostly fat and they will lose weight first... their size and feel indicates NOTHING.

About 5 dipe changes per day is what you want' If you're getting that, supply is dandy. Mke sure you're nursing before solids are given.

eema.gray
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Could you be unconsciously restricted fluids?  A lot of times, supply has more to do with fluid intake than calorie intake.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had trouble with calorie restriction and supply as well.  I've found that I need about 1700-1800 NET calories per day (after exercising... so I eat as many calories as I burn off when I exercise to get back to that total) to be able to maintain my supply.  Weight loss is slower, but I'd rather have milk and a healthy baby than be skinny. :)  My ds is now 26 months and when he turned 2, I figured I had met my bfing goal and could focus on the weight goal for real.  I'm staying around 1600-1700 net calories and making sure I have some galactagogues each day (my homemade granola is helpful--oats, flaxseed, almonds... it's super for milk-making!).

slransde
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Weights, stairs, elliptical

I pump because I work full time and it had dropped by 3 or 4 ounces for what I pump per day.

Quoting asaffell:

Ok, what kind of exercise?

And what indication do you have that supply is dropping?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slransde
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I work full time so I pump and I have been getting 3 or 4 ounces less per day.

Quoting gdiamante:

What's you're indication of a supply drop? Keep in mind the breasts are mostly fat and they will lose weight first... their size and feel indicates NOTHING.

About 5 dipe changes per day is what you want' If you're getting that, supply is dandy. Mke sure you're nursing before solids are given.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slransde
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM
I drink at least 60 to 80 Oz of water per day.

Quoting eema.gray:

Could you be unconsciously restricted fluids?  A lot of times, supply has more to do with fluid intake than calorie intake.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN