Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Losing Weight...and supply.

Posted by   + Show Post
Everytime I work to lose weight my supply drops. I'm eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and working out... I've been working on weight loss for the past two weeks and now my supply is suffering. I tried losing weight once before and had the same issue so I stopped trying. My son is 8 months, I really want to reach 1 year.

What do I do?! Fenugreek helped once, but I hate smelling like syrup all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
slransde
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Yea, that's why I stopped before...but we want to be pregnant again at the end of the year, so I need to lose this baby weight so I can be healthy for pregnancy number 2. It's driving me crazy! I want the best for my son and future baby and my self esteem (and poor sex drive) really needs the weight gone. I've always had body issues and it kills me to be this heavy. I'm 5'9 and 187.

Quoting K8wizzo:

I've had trouble with calorie restriction and supply as well.  I've found that I need about 1700-1800 NET calories per day (after exercising... so I eat as many calories as I burn off when I exercise to get back to that total) to be able to maintain my supply.  Weight loss is slower, but I'd rather have milk and a healthy baby than be skinny. :)  My ds is now 26 months and when he turned 2, I figured I had met my bfing goal and could focus on the weight goal for real.  I'm staying around 1600-1700 net calories and making sure I have some galactagogues each day (my homemade granola is helpful--oats, flaxseed, almonds... it's super for milk-making!).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I have found myfitnesspal to be helpful in tracking my calories and exercise.  Then, I compare that with both my milk supply and weight loss to find a good middle ground.  You can do it!

Quoting slransde:

Yea, that's why I stopped before...but we want to be pregnant again at the end of the year, so I need to lose this baby weight so I can be healthy for pregnancy number 2. It's driving me crazy! I want the best for my son and future baby and my self esteem (and poor sex drive) really needs the weight gone. I've always had body issues and it kills me to be this heavy. I'm 5'9 and 187.

Quoting K8wizzo:

I've had trouble with calorie restriction and supply as well.  I've found that I need about 1700-1800 NET calories per day (after exercising... so I eat as many calories as I burn off when I exercise to get back to that total) to be able to maintain my supply.  Weight loss is slower, but I'd rather have milk and a healthy baby than be skinny. :)  My ds is now 26 months and when he turned 2, I figured I had met my bfing goal and could focus on the weight goal for real.  I'm staying around 1600-1700 net calories and making sure I have some galactagogues each day (my homemade granola is helpful--oats, flaxseed, almonds... it's super for milk-making!).

asaffell
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

It could be that your body is just getting used to the pump, as well.

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM

How are you trying to lose weight? What is your BMI, and what is your goal BMI?

There are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose weight. Dieting tends to be a bad idea, although Weight Watchers has a decent program for breastfeeding moms.

slransde
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM
I'm working with a personal trainer for an exercise routine and not dieting, but changing my eating habits for a permanent change.

BMI is a very inaccurate measurement for most...so that is not a measurement we are using.

Quoting Gruntlings:

How are you trying to lose weight? What is your BMI, and what is your goal BMI?

There are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose weight. Dieting tends to be a bad idea, although Weight Watchers has a decent program for breastfeeding moms.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM
What's your BMR? Did you add 500 cals to your total caloric intake? Have you factored your age, height, current weight, exercise habits and breastfeesing. Also be sure to drink half your body weight in ounces.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shelley11709
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I would try weight watchers. I used it, lost all the baby weight and never had a supply issue.

Pump output does not indicate a loss in supply, just a loss in pump output. Try power pumping, pumping more often and puming with every nursing session while with your lo to help keep your stash up and maybe increase pump output
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Also are you replacing the calories you burn through exercise? If you don't your body will go into starvation mode.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsOssiander
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Myfitnesspal is awesome for calorie counting! You add bf as a meal for you and it ups the calories for you as well as any logged excercise. At 5'3" and 112 kgs (to lazy to do the math lol) I'm at like 2300 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Pump output would have dropepd anyway. Have you discussed the pregnancy plan with your doc? Mine was adamant, no pregnancies less than two years apart, for the health of both mother and baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)