Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid newb question about bras

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM
  • 36 Replies

I understand the reason for nursing bras and plan on wearing them regularly when my son his born, and I understand that my bra size will be different from my current even bigger boobs, but do I always have to wear one?

I havent been able to wear a nice bra since getting pregnant. Morning sickeness required me to wear a sports bra and now since my boobs are growing I cant fit any of my old bras and have been wearing nothing but ugly "matronly" bras and sports bras. I miss wearing something cute and to be frank for my own personal gratification I would like to see my new boobs in something nice and supportive that would make me feel sexy since I havent felt sexy in a long time. 

Is it possible to wear a normal bra from time to time? I mean I know there is leakage and stuff but does it interfere that badly with breastfeeding? I plan on EBF-ing and intruducing expressed milk via bottle around 6-9 months when I have to go back to work. Do any of you still wear push up bras on occasion? I just like the way the feel and look and I really miss wearing them!

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM
They do make cute nursing bras. I have a sexy black lace one :). They're just very easy for access especially when baby is young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iliketosparkle
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Once my milk supply was regulated, I wore a regular bra with my DD and just pulled the cup out of the way. I'm a 32GG right now at 39w pregnant and all of my nursing bras are ugly and not very supportive, so I'll probably just wear a regular bra again once my supply is good (3-4 months). I need the support of an underwire and they don't sell nursing bras in my cup size with an underwire.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM

:O really, where did you get it? All of the ones I have seen are horrible nutrual granny looking things that really offer no support (less than a sports bra!)

Quoting mama02040608:

They do make cute nursing bras. I have a sexy black lace one :). They're just very easy for access especially when baby is young.

TTC2Long
by Gina on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I do wear my pre-baby bras on occasion, like date night or mom's night out when I know I won't be nursing anyone. Lol. Nursing bras and tanks are great, especially in the beginning when you might be leaky, but you won't always have huge engorged boobs and you probably won't always leak. I wear nursing tanks most of the time and throw a tshirt or blouse over it for going out with my son. That way your torso is covered for nip. I honestly hardly wear my nursing bras because tanks are so much easier. But I'm also pretty small-chested so I don't need a ton of support.

And btw, not a stupid question at all! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM

http://www.barenecessities.com/Nursing-Bras-Bras_catalog_nxs,31,style,12.htm

See if some of these suit your fancy.  Some are very pretty!!  You only need to wear the nursing bras once the baby is born.  If you're going out for the evening and the baby is at home, yes you can wear a normal bra, just be sure to put in some pads in case you leak.

laurenb1
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM
They make pretty nursing bras that look like a normal bra except for the straps. At night I wore the medela ones that sort of look like a sports bra. But use breast pads at night in the beginning so you don't leak
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PZRM
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM
You're just lookin in the wrong places ;) lol. They make cute nursing bras too! Personally, I lived in nursing bras and/or tanks til dd was 4ish months old and not quite so needy. You don't even ever HAVE to wear a nursing bra but it's sure a hell of a lot easier then undoing/redoing clasps all the time to prevent stretching. Eh....

The answer to your question is wear whatever you feel comfortable in, especially if you're goin out without baby for a few hours. :) AND don't give up the search for cuter nursing bras, they do exist. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheram
by Angie on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM
After about 3 months I started wearing regular bras when I went out without baby. After I regulated at about 9 months I threw all of my nursing bras away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louise1212
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM
I wear push up padded bras for the nights we have a babysitter and go out and when i feed her before i leave i just lift it up and unbutton the back. And i just change when i get home. But i do have a cute nursing bra from target that i wear most of the time. The bras i got from the maternity store i don't like because they have to much fabric which with my smaller size its harder to keep it out of the way to feed dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Oh wow, I imagine finding any bra in your size is difficult since you are so petite with a large cup size. I find that just being a 34D Its uncomfortable to go without underwire support. Its good to know you can still breast feed with a regular bra. Thanks for the info!

Quoting iliketosparkle:

Once my milk supply was regulated, I wore a regular bra with my DD and just pulled the cup out of the way. I'm a 32GG right now at 39w pregnant and all of my nursing bras are ugly and not very supportive, so I'll probably just wear a regular bra again once my supply is good (3-4 months). I need the support of an underwire and they don't sell nursing bras in my cup size with an underwire.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)