Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Um, excuse me, do you mind? We're trying to eat here

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM
  • 19 Replies

My husband and I were at a restaurant recently and my son was hungry, so I got out my travel boppy, my nursing cover, and I started to feed him. His feet were sticking out from under the cover and some old woman came up and just started playing with his feet! I know baby feet are cute, but have a little courtesy when someone is breast feeding! It's hard enough to do it discreetly, but when you distract him it's near impossible! Maybe it was her way of trying to make me feel awkward for breast feeding in public, but I think maybe grandma just needs to go back to the nursing home. I just sat there and looked at her, I was so surprised I didn't know what to do.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JamieLyn822
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM
5 moms liked this
I seriously doubt she was trying to make you uncomfortable for nursing. Probably just an old lady wanting to love on some baby feet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I bet iot was innocent.  I would just let her know you are nursing and would like her to ask before she starts playing with your baby.

WFG2012
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
they make travel boppys? that has to make it impossible to nurse discretely. all the inventions we have make me wonder how women breastfed before all this stuff!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM

She probably meant no harm, but she should have asked first! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
    babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

saltyalley1227
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I agree. If anything she may have been attempting to make you feel MORE comfortable by behaving "normally" around you while nursing.
I can see how it would be irritating and I don't like when ppl I don't know touch my baby, especially without asking!

Quoting JamieLyn822:

I seriously doubt she was trying to make you uncomfortable for nursing. Probably just an old lady wanting to love on some baby feet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asmalltowngirl
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM
2 moms liked this
You uses a travel boppy and a cover and you were trying to be discreet? Girlfriend, invest in a nursing tank ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Umm yeah there is nothing discreet about a travel boppy. Might as well wear a huge sign that says breastfeeding here. ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Sheila
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM

By discreet, I meant trying not to flash my boobs. I don't care if someone knows I'm nursing, I just don't want any nip slips; so far so good. Unless you count when my co-worker opened the fitting room door while I was using my pump, now I tease her about it lol!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

This.

Quoting saltyalley1227:

I agree. If anything she may have been attempting to make you feel MORE comfortable by behaving "normally" around you while nursing.
I can see how it would be irritating and I don't like when ppl I don't know touch my baby, especially without asking!

Quoting JamieLyn822:

MandiK
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM
That would have bugged me too, but you sound really rude saying things like "grandma needs to go back to the nursing home"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)