Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Am I the crazy one for not wanting to leave my LO?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM
  • 38 Replies
I don't understand this. My dh keeps trying to get me to go on vacatiOn WITHOUT our LO because it would be cheaper, easier and he thinks we would have more fun not having to carry him all over he place. Honestly I think he just wants time for the two of us...which I understand. HOWEVER, I am NOT leaving my baby!!! He is ten months old now and nursing is going great. Now he is talking about vacation after he turns one so it's not like he's asking me to leave tomorrow but still! I love my son and I don't want to leave him, even for one night. Honestly part of it does have to do with nursing him. I work full time and I HATE pumping. So why would I leave him for a night and then have to pump when I don't have to.
So fast forward until tonight. My friend just told me that she is going on vacation with her dh in August when her dd will be 18months and she will be leaving her with family. I don't know how long they are going for but either way I could not see leaving my ds to go on vacation without him. Maybe it's because I am a first time mom, maybe it's because I nurse, or maybe I am just crazy. But I don't feel like I would be able to leave me lil guy to go on a vacation without him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubbbaNbabygirl
by Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM
I don't like to leave my kids either and they're older! I have, but for only one night at a time and I just wanted to be with them the whole time so it wasn't even fun! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM
No you are not crazy. Some people are fine with leaving their little ones, I'm not. My daughter is almost three and has still never spent a night away from me. No way I would leave mine at that age. I would have NO fun on a vacation without my kiddos!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I don't even like spending a night away from DH, (only do so if it's work related) why would I want to leave my child? My parents never left me for vacation (my mom worked o/n I stayed with dad) until I was much older(like 10+) and the longest was 3 nights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM
I'm the same way. The only time I've been away from dd1 overnight was when I was in the hospital after having dd2 (dd1 is 3). Honestly, I really didn't want to be away from her then but found some comfort that she was at least in her own home and she did surprisingly well.

Eta: dd1 was 2 yrs 9 mo when dd2 was born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you're crazy but you're in good company! I didn't leave my first until he was almost 2.5years, when I was in the hospital delivering his brother. I didn't leave them again until that second one was two and we were overnight at a wedding out of town. We've got 4 kids now, and we did leave them overnight at my inlaws recently because my dh's band was playing a big charity gig and we stayed that night in a hotel, and my kids are 11, 9, 6 and almost 3. We just don't leave them with sitters, almost never overnight and certainly don't vacation without them. But my dh and I are on the exact same page about this. I don't think it's awful if people vacation without their kids, if both parents are ok with it. But I couldn't have a good time if my dh forced me to leave my kids behind when I don't want to. And it goes the other way, too. My dh is away out of town for work a lot and I think he really wants to spend every free minute with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM
I don't like leaving my children either, so I don't!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM
My parents didn't vacation without us kids either. Also no babysitters. Maybe that's why I feel the same way. I'm wondering about the moms who are comfortable leaving their kids on vacations? Did your parents travel away and take you to grandma's for the week? I don't think it's awful, it's just not in my make up.

Quoting audmom1218:

I don't even like spending a night away from DH, (only do so if it's work related) why would I want to leave my child? My parents never left me for vacation (my mom worked o/n I stayed with dad) until I was much older(like 10+) and the longest was 3 nights.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ty355172
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Dd is almost 16 months and i wouldnt think to leave her for any amount of time longer than a few hours unless u was going to work ...and never ever over night!!! I understand totally!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know about you, but I am in my 30s and I have had plenty of vacations in my life with no kids around. Dh and I have been together for 5 yrs ago we had plenty of alone time. Now or lives have changed so that means children are included on our vacation plans, and I am happy about that. We are making new memories. Granted, there is much more packing and preparing involved but it's worth it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Nope - we have brought DS, 13 months, on 2 vacations & a trip to visit with family. I don't see a reason to leave baby if you don't want to.

I have a 'friend' who keeps posting on fb that she will miss her baby (8 months) when she goes on a 3 day vacation with her husband. The responses are "oh, it's so important that you have time for yourselves." and "it's important for the baby to be without you" She's posted like 4 times about it, once about how the baby doesn't take bottles so he will have to eat lots of solids or something. SMH at all of them.

When we brought DS on a pool/lake vaca at 13 months, it was fun to have him around. And he was so tired he took longer naps for DH & me times
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)