Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Okay, ladies, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

My son is 4 months old, and I just started the Nuvaring. My doctor told me that it is the next best thing to the Minipill (I am awful with remembering to take pills so I decided to try the ring first). I talked to my doctor about all the pros and cons with the ring, especially because I am exclusively breastfeeding. He told me that the estrogen in the ring will not affect my son in any way because the amount that gets into my milk is so minute that it won't do anything. He also told me to keep an eye on my production and that if it is drastically lowered I'd have to stop. I've only been on it two days and so far so good.
I know that the warning labels tell you not to use it while breastfeeding, but my doctor said it was fine. Are there any other BFing moms on the ring? I'd love to hear from you. I refuse to believe that everyone's experience with the ring is negative.

Thanks!
--Heidi <3

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Replies (11-18):
schultzal
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:43 AM

I got pregnant while using NuvaRing for the second time, several years ago.

It also made my cycles all wonky and I had light bleeding/spotting/full on period bleeding for nearly 12 weeks after I stopped it the first time. Went back on it because pills make me sick, and then got pregnant. :-/

Quoting sreichelt26:

^^What they all said. Estrogen dries you up. We just used condoms when we definitely didn't want to get pregnant.

As a side note, a few years ago I knew 5 people on Nuvaring - 4 of them got pregnant.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Only time nuvaring would be safe is if you plan to suppliment or fully wean. Estrogen in your body in any way shape or form kills supply for 99%the of women. Take that ring out if you value bfing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM
I don't have experience with the ring, but I do have an IUD, Mirena, and I haven't had any problems with it. I have heard some horror stories so was a little freaked out, but I have had it for a year now. It has not affected my milk, and is really effective!!
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM
This. It will more than likely kill your supply.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Only time nuvaring would be safe is if you plan to suppliment or fully wean. Estrogen in your body in any way shape or form kills supply for 99%the of women. Take that ring out if you value bfing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kLynch315
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM
I was thinking this! I've known so many women get pregnant on it. It seems like a horrible option.

Quoting sreichelt26:

^^What they all said. Estrogen dries you up. We just used condoms when we definitely didn't want to get pregnant.

As a side note, a few years ago I knew 5 people on Nuvaring - 4 of them got pregnant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabunny102
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Well here's an update... It's been a week on Nuvaring (my doc told me to try it for two weeks and then make a decion) and my milk supply has been exactly the same as before I was on it, and my son's diapers have been exactly the same as far as the numbers of them go... I feel fine, and I also read that the nuvaring is not recommended for those who are starting it at the 6 week postpartem. My son was nearly 17 weeks when I started it so his systems are a little bit more developed and so perhaps he is a bit more protected from the estrogen? I'm still a little uneasy about how the estrogen will affect my son so I am still considering going to the minipill, but I have heard that it is just as ineffective as any other insertable bc.

As for the IUDs, I was told by my doctor that I was too young to use those (I am 22).

Then again, this is also the same doctor who told me I need to stretch out the number of times I nurse my son because he's gained too much weight... I didn't think you could overfeed a breastfed baby... Maybe I will have to switch.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Quoting mamabunny102:

Well here's an update... It's been a week on Nuvaring (my doc told me to try it for two weeks and then make a decion) and my milk supply has been exactly the same as before I was on it, and my son's diapers have been exactly the same as far as the numbers of them go...

OK, that's good.

I feel fine, and I also read that the nuvaring is not recommended for those who are starting it at the 6 week postpartem. My son was nearly 17 weeks when I started it so his systems are a little bit more developed and so perhaps he is a bit more protected from the estrogen?

It's not how it affects him.

I'm still a little uneasy about how the estrogen will affect my son so I am still considering going to the minipill, but I have heard that it is just as ineffective as any other insertable bc.

It's as effective as NuvaRing if you remember to take it. If you're like me and can't remember pills, skip it.

As for the IUDs, I was told by my doctor that I was too young to use those (I am 22).

Uhh... no age limit on IUDs.

Then again, this is also the same doctor who told me I need to stretch out the number of times I nurse my son because he's gained too much weight... I didn't think you could overfeed a breastfed baby... Maybe I will have to switch.

Uhhh... yeah. General practitioner, then? Because an OBGYN should not be advising on infant feedings. Heck, pediatricians don't even get it right!

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I'd find a new doctor. There is no reason 22 is too young for an IUD. That makes no sense. He is also giving you crappy feeding advice.

Im glad it doesn't seem to be affecting your supply. Keep a close eye on it though. DD was 5 months old when I went back on it and it dried me right up so it can definitely cause problems even if baby is older.

Quoting mamabunny102:

Well here's an update... It's been a week on Nuvaring (my doc told me to try it for two weeks and then make a decion) and my milk supply has been exactly the same as before I was on it, and my son's diapers have been exactly the same as far as the numbers of them go... I feel fine, and I also read that the nuvaring is not recommended for those who are starting it at the 6 week postpartem. My son was nearly 17 weeks when I started it so his systems are a little bit more developed and so perhaps he is a bit more protected from the estrogen? I'm still a little uneasy about how the estrogen will affect my son so I am still considering going to the minipill, but I have heard that it is just as ineffective as any other insertable bc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)