Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

my happy, healthy baby

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM
  • 10 Replies
Ds is now 7 mo. Today him and I went to a cookout. There was a 5 mo ff baby there. We put them face to face in with the carriages. It was cute. But all the sudden the other baby got hungry, so his mom took out his bottle and gave him some. We chatted for a bit about our babies. He was halfway done with the bottle and she took out a jar of pears & raspberries and quickly shoved spoonfuls in his mouth. This poor baby screamed after about ten min. She goes "i can't tell if u are done or not" and he kept opening his mouth so she kept feeding him. He ate half the jar and then she gave him the rest of the bottle. When he was done he immediately spit up and keep spitting up. Now through all this she kept telling me how he has always had such a sensitive tummy he gets has drops in every bottle. From what I observed this poor thing looked like he was in so much pain. I think I only saw this scrawny, pale little baby smile once. In the meantime, my chubby little ds was babbling away, smiling and laughing out loud, as if to say "what the heck is wrong with this guy?". I told her how I waited to give his solids and she looked at me like I was crazy but my baby was the healthy happy one there. She said she tried to bf but couldn't make enough. I wanted to tell her she didn't try hard enough, ha ha ha.
Just thought I wd share this story since the whole time I watched this spectacle I thought if u ladies. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifetimelove
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope you didn't think of me.

It sounds like this mom was struggling and confused. I would never think "you didn't try hard enough". I would have thought "wow, I wish I had known you to give you some support and advice that I might have been able to help you succeed".

Women have SO much going against them. The number one thing they have going against them - not knowing at all what is normal when it comes to breastfeeding, and not having positive, frequent interactions with a SUCCESSFUL breastfeeding mom.

If all you here all around you is that you are not making enough and your baby is miserable, then how can you say someone isn't trying hard enough? Lack of education isn't laziness. Sad and unfortunate is what it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM
*hear, not here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:27 AM
I was totally kidding! Sorry I'd u didn't her that in my tone, it's hard to hear that when reading I guess.
My point was that I felt bad for this baby and this mom who didn't know better. She has a ton of support, but ppl are feeding her the wrong info, its sad. I am just happy my baby is happy and healthy.

Quoting lifetimelove:

I hope you didn't think of me.

It sounds like this mom was struggling and confused. I would never think "you didn't try hard enough". I would have thought "wow, I wish I had known you to give you some support and advice that I might have been able to help you succeed".

Women have SO much going against them. The number one thing they have going against them - not knowing at all what is normal when it comes to breastfeeding, and not having positive, frequent interactions with a SUCCESSFUL breastfeeding mom.

If all you here all around you is that you are not making enough and your baby is miserable, then how can you say someone isn't trying hard enough? Lack of education isn't laziness. Sad and unfortunate is what it is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:52 AM
It IS frustrating. My cousin was successful at bfing, but at six months decided to cold-turkey wean "because she wanted to go out for a girls' night and my baby won't take bottles". So she cold-turkey weaned to formula... baby was crying and miserable and she was engorged and miserable. She would complain about it, and all I could do was think "well nurse, you stupid girl... it would solve both problems!" Unfortunately, I couldn't say that TO her because she knows everything and is smarter than the rest of the world. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM

well, I did start the boys on pureed food around 5 months, however mostly it was just 'practice', and it was maybe once every day or two. They'd spit most of it out, and probably in the end would only actually eat a few teaspoons worth. Now they are almost 8 months and usually eat half a jar at each meal, and like to play with eating puffs and those little dried yogert thingies, however most of them end up going to the dog waiting eagerly under the highchair lol.They also love to try different flavors from the table, like mashed potatoes and bits of steamed veggies, little bits of soft bread, things like that. And much to my dismay, FIL has them loving yogurt popcicles. He'll let them suck on it, which they love. However, one of them took a big bite the other day and got a huge chunk, then proceeded to scream because of a brain freeze.

It really sounds like that lady was force feeding the baby, which wasn't good at all. Babies give us cues for when they are ready for the next step. That baby obviously wasn't ready for solids, or at least not serious solids....

JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I have a feeling this baby had been on solids for a while. It was sad seeing him get fussy then spit it all up. She told me all the diff foods he has had, including cereal. And he was having a hard time pooping, that's why she was giving him pears. I wanted to tell her his tummy wasn't ready for all the diff things she was giving him, but I had just met her and I didn't want to overstep my boundaries. So I told her how when my ds had that prob I stopped solids bc he wasn't ready, she told me the Dr to her to give him 'p' foods. I didn't want to tell her that her Dr was wrong, haha ha.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

well, I did start the boys on pureed food around 5 months, however mostly it was just 'practice', and it was maybe once every day or two. They'd spit most of it out, and probably in the end would only actually eat a few teaspoons worth. Now they are almost 8 months and usually eat half a jar at each meal, and like to play with eating puffs and those little dried yogert thingies, however most of them end up going to the dog waiting eagerly under the highchair lol.They also love to try different flavors from the table, like mashed potatoes and bits of steamed veggies, little bits of soft bread, things like that. And much to my dismay, FIL has them loving yogurt popcicles. He'll let them suck on it, which they love. However, one of them took a big bite the other day and got a huge chunk, then proceeded to scream because of a brain freeze.

It really sounds like that lady was force feeding the baby, which wasn't good at all. Babies give us cues for when they are ready for the next step. That baby obviously wasn't ready for solids, or at least not serious solids....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GE1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Awww poor baby. Obviously she was misreading her baby's cues and giving him too much food. Sad how many women are uneducated. I have a friend who ff from day 1 and started solids at 3 months. She feeds him a lot and gives him cow's milk for a while now. He is just about 8 months now. Mine will be 6 months next week and EBF no solids yet for him. Whenever we meet, mine is either sound asleep or all smiles and quiet while hers is not happy about something. Then she tells him to look at my baby and why he cannot be like him. I hate the way these mothers point out other children and tell their own why they cannot be like them. Ummm maybe they are trying to tell you something but you are not listening? Sorry, my turn to vent

JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I totally agree! My friend sister wanted nothing to do with bfing, I sent her a.bunch of links on the benefits and told her how I lost the baby weight almost immediately. I just dad her complaining on fb how she can't wear a bathing shot this yr. I wanted to be like "u should have bf'ed ha ha

Quoting GE1:

Awww poor baby. Obviously she was misreading her baby's cues and giving him too much food. Sad how many women are uneducated. I have a friend who ff from day 1 and started solids at 3 months. She feeds him a lot and gives him cow's milk for a while now. He is just about 8 months now. Mine will be 6 months next week and EBF no solids yet for him. Whenever we meet, mine is either sound asleep or all smiles and quiet while hers is not happy about something. Then she tells him to look at my baby and why he cannot be like him. I hate the way these mothers point out other children and tell their own why they cannot be like them. Ummm maybe they are trying to tell you something but you are not listening? Sorry, my turn to vent

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

that sounds so sad!   People comment all the time about how happy my lil guy is.  Some folks swore up and down he NEVER cried LOL   I didn't make a big deal out of it, but seeing as how he got to eat when he was hungry and snuggle as often and as long as he wanted, what could he possible have to be sad about?  

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

That poor baby.. :o( 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN