Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Long Drive - pumped breastmilk

Posted by   + Show Post
My family and I are going to a wedding when my ds will be about four months .... Car drive will be 8 hours I was thinking of manually pumping when he needs to eat so it's fresh and redy to eat but so we also don't have to stop a ton for feedings.... But then I thought ... How would I burp him since I cannot take him out of his seat? What do u do in this situation if u have tried this
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Replies (31-38):
busdrivermom80
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM

CHILD RESTRAINT EXEMPTIONS (less than 4 years)

710d

Passenger in a bus, school bus, taxicab, moped, motorcycle, or other motor vehicle not required to be equipped with safety belts

• Child being nursed

• Child qualifying for a Secretary of State rule exemption due to size, medical problem, or physical unfitness

The good old state of Michigan, allows you to take a child out of restriants and nurse while in a moving vehical. 

Sunshine71980
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

My dad, my dd, and I did a road trip, Virginia to Indiana and back in 5 days ( saw 15 family members!).  DD was 4 months old.  I just let her sit in her seat and would lean and "hover" (I am fairly well endowed so...she could get a good latch with me just leaning toward her and having my hand support the boob).  She'd eat for 10 mins  or so at a time and then snooze for a while.  We would stop about every 4 hours to change her, play, and get something to eat for ourselves.  She did  great!  No problems (except one diaper blow out, lol).

Good Luck!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Just because it is legal, it does not mean that it is safe.  No amount of shorter drive time is worth the life of my child.

Quoting busdrivermom80:

710d

Passenger in a bus, school bus, taxicab, moped, motorcycle, or other motor vehicle not required to be equipped with safety belts

• Child being nursed

• Child qualifying for a Secretary of State rule exemption due to size, medical problem, or physical unfitness

The good old state of Michigan, allows you to take a child out of restriants and nurse while in a moving vehical. 

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

On our road trips we just stop every couple of hours for diaper changes. You have to change baby's diaper every 3 hours anyway. And you can't do that while driving!

mommymary6507
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Well, I have not been in this situation. But I would just pull over and breast feed when he's hungry.

Young_Mommy89
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM
I just took a 5hr drive with a 8 day old & we just stopped to feed him...its not safe to feed them in the carseat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Young_Mommy89
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM
=( I hated not seeing him for that ride, he slept most of the time though.

Quoting audmom1218:

Also if he is used to nursing all day on demand think of how stressful being strapped in a carseat facing backwards not able to see mommy and daddy for 8 hrs would be! I think he'll need that cuddle time!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM
That's the dumbest most unsafe thing I've ever heard in my life & if people actually take their child out of the carseat to nurse going down the road in a moving vehicle they hVe a few loose screws in their heads

Quoting busdrivermom80:

710d

• Child being nursed

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)