Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Low blood sugar in a newborn?

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, all you knowledgable ladies. I am due to deliver any day and will be having a c-section on Tuesday if no delivery before then (long story). . .With my last baby, she was "big" and the hospital's policy was to test her blood sugar before each of the first 3 nursing sessions. I suspect this little guy is also big so I see that coming with him as well. She ended up being normal but I know they would likely push formula if the reading came back wonky. My question is, if his blood sugar comes back low (I'm guessing that was their concern) I am not open to formula supplementation. . .but what do I do and why? I want to be prepared to fight just in case. I think I recall reading that skin to skin and frequent nursing is gold standard? Anyone?

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Replies (21-26):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Exactly that--frequent nursing, holding, no other fluids.  Keep your own fluid up as well.  Your milk will likely come in faster with this baby since he is not your first, as it did with my daughter.  If you can, keep the baby in your room so you can have him at breast any time any hospital personnel come in.  That's what I did with my daughter!

eema.gray
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM

This is so true!  With my first, it took about three days for my milk to come in.  Older daughter, took about a day and a half.  My 3 month old daughter, my milk came in barely 24 hours after she was born!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Exactly that--frequent nursing, holding, no other fluids.  Keep your own fluid up as well.  Your milk will likely come in faster with this baby since he is not your first, as it did with my daughter.  If you can, keep the baby in your room so you can have him at breast any time any hospital personnel come in.  That's what I did with my daughter!

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

mollysmom328
by Stephanie on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Just an interesting story.  My cousin had her first 13 years ago in Washington.  He had a huge array of issues when he was born including dangerously low blood sugar.  Even the LC on duty said they HAD to use a small amount of formula (he is her only child with any food allergies and is deathly allergic to dairy).  She ended up becoming really good friends with the LC through the LLL who felt awful about the formula they had to use.  My cousin did some research and vehemently agrees that they had to give it to him that's how low it was.  In some cases I can see it being absolutely necessary but probably in 99% of babies, nursing is all they need for blood sugar.

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM
I experienced the kidnapping of baby for low blood sugar too. My daughter was taken to the nursery for all the routine things at around 4am, an hour or so after she was born. I had lost a significant amount of blood so I essentially passed out soon after then. I woke often and kept calling the nursery for my baby to nurse but they wouldn't allow her out until her blood sugar was up and wouldn't allow me to come to the nursery because it was against policy. They told me I couldn't see her until she had formula. I had no choice to consent since I couldn't even walk. I was so angry and had some trouble getting her to latch because she was lethargic. But once we got home, away from all the nurses, we did great.

Quoting eema.gray:

A lot of hospitals call babies born over 8 lbs "large for gestational age."  For some reason, these hospitals then consider low blood sugar to be a serious health concern and test them aggressively.  When levels dip, as they are supposed to, the hospital then panics and often times forces mom to feed formula (or in some cases like mine, they kidnap baby to the nursery and refuse to return baby to mom until formula is administered).  

It's not connected with weight loss specifically.  It's a physiological systems test that happens about 8 to 12 hours after baby is born - their blood sugars dip and it's thought the reason for this is to teach the baby's system how to process ketones for energy if glucose is unavailable.  If baby is left alone, allowed to nurse on demand, their blood sugars will come back up to a normal resting rate within 4 hours or so.

Now, a baby who shows SYMPTOMS of low blood sugar is a very different baby who needs immediate intervention, no matter what the numbers on his blood sugar tests are.

Quoting SLOmommy:

See this is weird, I live in a city that's very "natural" and it's uncommon to see someone bottle feeding so maybe that's why I have never heard of blood sugar testing??

A friend that lives 2 hours away asked me tons of advice about nursing so she'd be successful but after her sons birth, said she "had to" give formula due to low blood sugar. She ended up never nursing :(

All I could do was bite my tongue.

I assume it's just like how they lose weight at first....not a big deal.

I had c sections too (1st was emergency, 2nd was a horribly failed vbac so 3rd was planned) and I never allow my baby to be taken out of my room. They had to for 10 minutes so I sent his dad with him so I'd know what went on with my baby at all times. No bottles, no shot, no pacifier were my requests but I still didn't trust him to be alone lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mombloggerJ
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Welp, baby is here and all is well. No blood sugar testing was even mentioned (he was 8lbs 6 oz). He's been nursing like a champ, my milk came in earlier than usual and after a low weight on day 2 of 7lbs 12 oz, he was back up to 7lbs, 14 oz last night. And he's a cutie. . .but I might be biased. ;-)

tuckermama3
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM

My first was also "big" (I'm 5'2", she was 10ibs. even), and they checked her, but more from diabetic standpoint.  My last was 5 weeks early, although a "monster" at 6lbs. 12ozs. she weighed more than some full term babies.  They checked her sugar constantly, I nursed but for some reason her sugar level wasn't able to stay stable, so I had to supplement with formula.  Never really got a straight answer, although I was in shock as to having such a big preemie, I am sure I wasn't asking to my full ablility. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN