Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

mothers milk tea question

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

i just bought this stuff and hoping it helps with mysupply but my question is can i drink it cold? its really hot here and i love drinking ice tea so will it still work the same hot or cold? thanks ladies!!!

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM
it shouldn't matter.
Why do you need to increase supply? The directions if I remember correct had to be consumed 2-3 cups a day to actually increase supply
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd brew it hot then add ice cubes!!!

JSmommy66
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Doesn't matter I drink it warm or cold
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM
When I made mine I just let it brew until it was cool. I would drink around 3-4 cups a day for a few days
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Quoting Owl_Feather:

I'd brew it hot then add ice cubes!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Hot or cold, does not matter. If you like drinking the tea, great. If you don't like it and or really do need help with your supply, you may want to get pills instead (you need to drink a lot of the tea!)

THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003 states:  “Many mothers try to boost their milk supply by drinking herbal teas, but the dose cannot be as easily controlled as capsules or tinctures, so the results will be inconsistent.  Fenugreek (three capsules three times per day can be taken alone or with blessed thistle (three capsules three times per day).  Experience indicates that it takes 24-72 hours to see an increase in milk supply once the herbs are started in the correct doses.  Fenugreek is listed in the US as a Generally Recognized as Safe herbal.”

babymama8787
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Will i be able to drink the tea and take the fenugreek pills? or is that to much?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Hot or cold, does not matter. If you like drinking the tea, great. If you don't like it and or really do need help with your supply, you may want to get pills instead (you need to drink a lot of the tea!)

THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003 states:  “Many mothers try to boost their milk supply by drinking herbal teas, but the dose cannot be as easily controlled as capsules or tinctures, so the results will be inconsistent.  Fenugreek (three capsules three times per day can be taken alone or with blessed thistle (three capsules three times per day).  Experience indicates that it takes 24-72 hours to see an increase in milk supply once the herbs are started in the correct doses.  Fenugreek is listed in the US as a Generally Recognized as Safe herbal.”

CafeMom Tickers

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM
have never tried the tea. But the fenugreek works amazingly well! Funny thing with fenugreek though is it makes your BO smell like maple syrup. I didn't believe it til it happened to me. Lol...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Drink it however you like.

chelseamcnorman
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I love that stuff! I usually brew two packets at a time in a larger cup. I prefer it hot but I don't see why you can't drink it cold. 

As for the separate lactation-promoting herbs, I've researched those extensively and still have trouble finding CONSISTENT advice on dosages. I only take the capsules on days when I don't drink the tea, and that's only if mu supply needs a boost. I usually pair the fenugreek with fennel and/or dandelion and/or blessed thistle. I hear nettle works well too, but I have yet to try that one. 

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)