Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need advice..long post

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

DD is 9, almost 10 weeks. Monday I worked 8 hours (was away from dd from 730am to 530pm) and she went to my in laws house. When I called on my lunch break at noon they tell me that she's had 3 bottles of breastmilk already and was still hungry so they made her a 4oz bottle of formula and she drank about 1.5oz and fell asleep. (Bottles varied in amounts from 2 to 3.5 ounces). They say they've tried rocking her, walking around with her, laying her down, playing with her, taking her outside, changing her diaper, etc. but she screams and cries until she gets another bottle. Since she was 3 days old I've had to supplement with formula because she dropped 18% of her body weight (was using an NG tube until I went back to work)and at her 1 month checkup her dr said I could lose the formula and supplement with pumped breastmilk but I haven't been able to pump that much because she nurses on demand and I haven't had the chance to pump. When I get there to pick her up they tell me they've used all the breast milk I've sent and used the last of the formula (which looked like it should have been enough to last through Tuesday as well).

Tuesday I was away from dd from 730 am to 630pm and she was with my mom. Basically my mom says the same thing. And the breastmilk amounts are a bit larger (between 3.5 and 5.5oz) because I sent what I pumped Monday at work.

Both of them tell me dd wants to eat all day and not much else stops her from crying.

I read about the one ounce an hour rule but how is that supposed to work when my dd wont stop screaming her head off until she gets a bottle?

Once I'm around her she nurses from me only and she sleeps through the night. I pump twice before I go to bed, set my alarm for 3 hours after I go to sleep and she nurses before I go to work. I'm taking fenugreek 3 times a day and eating oatmeal every morning. I tried mother's milk tea and it makes me sick. But I'm using these things in an effort to make more milk to replace the formula..

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get away from formula and this bums me out. Sooo..what do I do..?

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:32 AM
Well they are just going to have to deal with an upset baby until she's gets used to mom being away and not being overfed.
It's not easy, but she WILL get used to it. If they can't handle that, they aren't the right babysitters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting aidansmommy219:

DD is 9, almost 10 weeks. Monday I worked 8 hours (was away from dd from 730am to 530pm) and she went to my in laws house. When I called on my lunch break at noon they tell me that she's had 3 bottles of breastmilk already and was still hungry so they made her a 4oz bottle of formula and she drank about 1.5oz and fell asleep. (Bottles varied in amounts from 2 to 3.5 ounces).

So in four and a half hours they gave her at least ten ounces. Probably gave her a stomachache.

They say they've tried rocking her, walking around with her, laying her down, playing with her, taking her outside, changing her diaper, etc. but she screams and cries until she gets another bottle.

What happens if a pacifier is given?

Since she was 3 days old I've had to supplement with formula because she dropped 18% of her body weight (was using an NG tube until I went back to work)and at her 1 month checkup her dr said I could lose the formula and supplement with pumped breastmilk but I haven't been able to pump that much because she nurses on demand and I haven't had the chance to pump. When I get there to pick her up they tell me they've used all the breast milk I've sent and used the last of the formula (which looked like it should have been enough to last through Tuesday as well).

Tuesday I was away from dd from 730 am to 630pm and she was with my mom. Basically my mom says the same thing. And the breastmilk amounts are a bit larger (between 3.5 and 5.5oz) because I sent what I pumped Monday at work.

Both of them tell me dd wants to eat all day and not much else stops her from crying.

I'd try wearing her.. I think they're overfeeding her and making her miserable... the crying stops with a bottle because it's hard to cry when your mouth is stuffed with a bottle.

I read about the one ounce an hour rule but how is that supposed to work when my dd wont stop screaming her head off until she gets a bottle?

Once I'm around her she nurses from me only and she sleeps through the night. I pump twice before I go to bed, set my alarm for 3 hours after I go to sleep and she nurses before I go to work. I'm taking fenugreek 3 times a day and eating oatmeal every morning. I tried mother's milk tea and it makes me sick. But I'm using these things in an effort to make more milk to replace the formula..

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get away from formula and this bums me out. Sooo..what do I do..?

They're grossly overfeeding her... they need to slow it down. Pacifier for sucking need; it's fine. But absolutely they need to stop overfeeding her... it's making her cry.

aidansmommy219
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting aidansmommy219:

DD is 9, almost 10 weeks. Monday I worked 8 hours (was away from dd from 730am to 530pm) and she went to my in laws house. When I called on my lunch break at noon they tell me that she's had 3 bottles of breastmilk already and was still hungry so they made her a 4oz bottle of formula and she drank about 1.5oz and fell asleep. (Bottles varied in amounts from 2 to 3.5 ounces).

So in four and a half hours they gave her at least ten ounces. Probably gave her a stomachache.

that makes sense and not something i even thought about.

They say they've tried rocking her, walking around with her, laying her down, playing with her, taking her outside, changing her diaper, etc. but she screams and cries until she gets another bottle.

i've never given her a pacifier. never gave one to my ds either, is there one that's better than others?

Since she was 3 days old I've had to supplement with formula because she dropped 18% of her body weight (was using an NG tube until I went back to work)and at her 1 month checkup her dr said I could lose the formula and supplement with pumped breastmilk but I haven't been able to pump that much because she nurses on demand and I haven't had the chance to pump. When I get there to pick her up they tell me they've used all the breast milk I've sent and used the last of the formula (which looked like it should have been enough to last through Tuesday as well).

I'd try wearing her.. I think they're overfeeding her and making her miserable... the crying stops with a bottle because it's hard to cry when your mouth is stuffed with a bottle.

wearing her??

They're grossly overfeeding her... they need to slow it down. Pacifier for sucking need; it's fine. But absolutely they need to stop overfeeding her... it's making her cry.

maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Look at your nipple after a feeding, then find a paci that resembles your nipple. Soothie pacifiers look the most like me, long and still rounded. My mama said we would come off and she would look smashed, so nuk was best for the 6 of us.

Quoting aidansmommy219:

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting aidansmommy219:

that makes sense and not something i even thought about.

i've never given her a pacifier. never gave one to my ds either, is there one that's better than others?

wearing her??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Only one of my four took a pacifier and they had to be the Playtex Binky "Most like mother" ones, which had a long nipple, not the squished orthodontic ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Like these. And they were hard to find. I know two other breastfed babies who would only take these.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
csecor1
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM
It sounds like she misses Mommy. My kids had awful seperation anxiety for MONTHS.. in fact, I was lucky to get more than three hours away from them in their first year of life because I was nursing and they would not take a bottle. I didn't want to use binkies with either of them, but I caved just to get some peace. We used Avent brand, which they loved, and it saved me and their grandparents on the rare occasion I got a break. And I agree with the others, it does seem she is getting overfed and is probably fussy because she's full, but takes the bottle because she wants to suck. It's a catch 22, so to speak. But, the cycle will break as long as the grandparents can put up with a fussy baby, not over feed her, and maybe give her a pacifier. Good luck! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Wearing: Put baby in a sling or a carrier, keep baby next to the caregiver. Babies thrive on being in arms.

aidansmommy219
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Thanks ladies! I will look at the pacifiers tomorrow and hopefully that helps.
mama02040608
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
They need to understand that she misses mom. Food does not fix that. ALL four of my kids were like this when I returned to work. They and dad or grandma figured it out eventually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)